x-post: Iron pill surprise! YIKES! NEED HELP!

MyMichelle
on 6/13/08 1:51 am - Fresno, CA
Hey, everyone! I had the worst experience with my iron pills today! I take the tender iron chewables (6 of them!), and after the third one, I popped one in my mouth and bit down. Something was wrong with this one, and it tasted SOOOOO bitter, and it was mushy instead of being hard like a sweettart, which is what they are usually like. Anyway, I just about gagged! Now, I'm afraid to take any of the tender iron chewables! I don't want to get one of those nasty ones again! So, I am thinking that I need to find a regular old iron pill I can swallow. What do you all take? I need something that is tender on the tummy, and I'm fine with large pills. Any suggestions? Also, do you think that 2 tbsp of sf vanilla creamer will block the absorption of the iron? I take my b-12, b-complex, E, A, D, and C with my tea in the morning, and I add a little bit of sf creamer to it. I'd like to take my iron at the same time to get the majority of the pills out of the way. Do you think there's enough calcium in that little bit of creamer to cause a problem?

johns-wife
on 6/16/08 12:36 pm
Bariatric advantage has a passion fruit chewable iron that taste like a sweet tart. I wish I had known about this iron when I was pregnant.. it doesnt taste nasty at all. It has 29mg of Iron and 60 mg of C for absorbtion.
feelingreat3
on 6/17/08 10:21 am
RNY on 01/23/11 with
My GYN gave me a sample of an iron supplement that is called Ferralet 90  It contains 90mg of carbonyl iron.  It is small in size and you have no constipation side effects.  If you have a good script plan it would be something to try.

Paula  Surgery 5/9/07
267/150/132  start/goal/current

Most Active