L-Carnitine & Chrom Pic

johns-wife
on 6/12/08 5:32 am, edited 6/12/08 5:33 am
Alot of people on the RNY forum take these supplements. Is there a NUT out there who can comment on this. My doc never said anything about these supplements. I thought these were just fad diet pills, buy many RNYers swear by them. What do you think? 
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/08 3:07 am
Good Morning, Johns-wife,  I don't think there is a nut here anymore to answer any questions, but I work at a vitamin store,  maybe I can help.  L-Carnititine is a amino acid. It helps you lose weight by adding amino's needed to build muscle and lose body fat. A lot of body builders take it alone or in a formula protein, that a lot of serious body builders need. (think timed released proteins) It is also used alone, without other amino's) to help with cardio problems (heart patients) and other age related issues. It's used for a lot of different reasons and it's a great supplement. Now, does it help you lose weight? It can, but only if it's part of a well rounded program including exercise and a healthy diet, of course! Your best bet is to go to any vitamin supplement or body building supplement store and ask one of their salespeople to explain how amino acids work. Or go on-line and google amino acids. There is a wealth of info out there to explain the functions of all 9 essential amino's and the 11 non-essential amino acids the body uses. Very interesting stuff! Here's a web page to start you reading: http://www.nutrivea-usa.com/amino_acids.htm.   As for chromium picolinate, it is used for stabilizing your blood sugars (diabetics). It is a mineral and it is found in a lot of weight loss formula supplements also. It can have a appetite suppressing effect on you, many people swear it helps with hunger, but a lot of these people are "normies" not us, I've found. (or at least at my store, I sell it more to "normies".) But the people that do take these weight loss formulas with chromium in them, swear by them and buy  the heck outta them! What ever works for you, I always say. Everyone is different.  Hope this helps! I hope I haven't confused you. You can probably google chromium also and read a better explaination that just I,can give you. I need coffee! I'm still half-asleep! Have a great day!
Most Active