Tricks for getting more calories in

GeekGirl
on 6/12/08 10:57 am - Billings, MT
I need to get more calories in so I stop losing weight and gain a few pounds. I'm seeing a nutritionist/dietician, and we're both coming up with ideas for pure calories. For example, eating fresh veggies with whole fat dip, whole fat cottage cheese, crackers with peanut butter for snacks, my morning white chocolate strawberry mocha, etc. (We're in the beginning stages and focusing on calories - we'll get to nutrition once my calories are looking better.)

I also now drink (a bit) with my meals so I can eat again sooner, and I brought a bunch of snacks to work that I keep at my desk to eat at regular intervals.

Oh, we also remembered summer sausage - high in calories per serving size! (It's great backpacking food if any of you do that, btw!)

Is anyone else going through this who can recommend more tricks for sneaking calories in?
240 / 120 / 99 / 5'4"
Starting / Goal / Current / Height

4/20/08 - Tummy Tuck & Mini Arm Lift
Contact me on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/webgeekgirl
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/08 12:15 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

I'm not going through the same thing, but I did note that your listed foods do not include nuts, which are very calorie dense.  And some are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids to boot.  Trail mix w/ nutes, raisins, etc., is also calorie-dense and easy to snack on... 

Can your pouch tolerate whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta, brown rice, or quinoa?  These items are pretty calorie dense, but if they disagree with your pouch or you are sensitive to carbs, they won't help meet your needs. 

Do you like avocados?  You could eat guacamole w/ veggies, or add sliced avocados to salads or sandwiches.   Anyway, just a couple suggestions - probably things you've already discussed with your nutritionist.  Good luck on regaining enough weight so you are comfortable and healthy!! Kellie

GeekGirl
on 6/13/08 1:43 pm - Billings, MT
At first I wasn't going to do nuts because I really don't like them, but then the more I thought about it, it'd be easier to graze on nuts throughout the day than trying to get peanut butter in high doses. So I bought some honey roasted ones today.

After my appointment today, I'm being asked to try this mixture of Ensure Plus and a weight gain supplement from the clinic that will be a 700 calorie drink (I'm about 500 cals short from just maintaining, much less gaining). So I hope they taste okay.... going to try the combination tonight after everything cools in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice!
240 / 120 / 99 / 5'4"

GeekGirl
on 6/13/08 2:43 pm - Billings, MT
So we've decided that my extra calories are going to have to come from supplements. She told me to get some Ensure Plus (which I did) and mix it with one of the resources they gave me (vanilla) and it tastes like yellow cake mix, which is one of my secret favorite flavors! Finally, a shake I can drink without gagging.
240 / 120 / 99 / 5'4"

wendy_fou
on 6/14/08 1:14 am - AR
I upped my calories a few months ago by adding a couple of cups of skim milk to my nightly routine.  (I add SF chocolate syrup to it to make chocolate milk.  It's like desert every night!!!)
GeekGirl
on 7/10/08 2:16 pm - Billings, MT
Sorry this response is so late. I just bought some weight gain stuff from GNC that I'm going to mix with 2% milk and no-sugar-added ice cream. I figure it'll make around a 500 calorie shake if I can get all 8oz in. If I can do that x2 a day, that's an extra 1000 calories I don't have to worry about. The rest I could get with food (intake is around 1200 - 1400 right now), so that would put me in a great position to regain some weight I think since my nut's goal right now is around 1800 cals. The shake is low enough in sugar that it doesn't make me dump, and it actually tastes good enough to eat.

I like your idea of chocolate milk too. Maybe I can rotate through different drinks so I don't get sick of one. Thanks for the idea!

- Christine
240 / 120 / 99 / 5'4"

Most Active