Question about B-12, calcium and absorption

glitzigirl
on 6/10/08 6:54 am - Teaneck, NJ
Does anyone know if you drink B-12 like in Emergen-C packets,do you fully absorb the nutrients? How is this differenct from the aborption of the sublingual? Also, do you take your calcium all at once or split it up during the day?
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/08 7:34 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I can't say for certain, but I do not think we fully absorb B-12 from the Emergen-C packets, and here's why.  B-12 is generally absorbed in the first section of our gastointestinal tract, which is bypassed in RNY patients.  So the part of our gut that can actually absord B-12 never gets a chance, because our food passes it by.  I think that's why we're supposed to take sublingual B-12 or get monthly shots instead.  We can absorb B-12 directly through the lining in our mouth, and the shots put it directly into our system.   Regarding the calcium, I take 2 Citracal tablets each day, which is a single dose, and I take them both at the same time.  I also eat a lot of low-fat dairy and drink 1-2 16 oz. bottles of Propel w/ Calcium every day.  So I guess I'm spreading my calcium out.  I don't know if it's absorbed better if you split it up... Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie (who, BTW, is not a dietician or nutritionist, just someone who's spent way to much time researching and analyzing this type of information)
Pam T.
on 6/11/08 2:31 am - Saginaw, MI
I think I answered your B12 question yesterday on some other forum (I think it was you... or someone who had the same question.  LOL) As for Calcium. First - make sure it is Calcium Citrate (not carbonate).  Second - your body can only absorb about 400-500mg at a time.  And you  need to space those doses out at least 2 hours apart.  so if you're taking 1500mg, you'll need to take it in at least 3 doses of 500mg or 4 doses of 400mg.   If you take 1500mg of calcium all at once, the body is overloaded and doesn't know what to do with it all, so it is excreted in your urine.  Almost all of it will just pass right through without being absorbed at all -- not even that 400-500mg dose it can usually handle.  So taking 1500mg all at once is the same as not taking any at all. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active