Protein

cdombi37
on 6/10/08 2:34 am - Norwalk, CA
I am 6 days post op and find it difficult to get 40 grams of protein. Each day appears to be easier to get more protein down and I have been making food choices which have the most protein. Also how can I drink 64 oz of fluids and eat throughout the day, I have not had much of an appetite and drinking the protein, fluids fill me up. What should I do?
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/08 5:12 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Just keep doing the best you can.  Early out, it's nigh on impossible to get in all the recommended proteins and fluids, especially if you have to wait 30 minutes before and after you "eat" to drink your fluids.  Frankly, I didn't pay much attention to that 30 minute rule when the only things I was taking in were fluids and liquid protein, but I did follow it closely once I switched to pureed foods then soft foods.   It'll be okay if it takes you a few weeks to work up being able to get in the recommended grams of protein each day.  Just keep working on it and within 4-6 weeks, you'll be hitting your daily protein goal regularly.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
ccidermill
on 6/10/08 9:08 am
I am four weeks post op and still having trouble getting in all of the fluid that they recommend.  I concentrate mostly on the protein and carbs and less on the fluids.  My doctor said as long as I'm not getting dehydrated, I'm getting enough.  If your tough gets white, then you are getting dehydrated.  Then you need to worry more about the liquids.  It does get easier as time goes on.  I'm hungrier now then I was that first week, so I have the ability to eat and drink more.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/08 10:43 pm
Isopure makes a drink (like gaterade) it has 40 grams in the whole bottle, expensive but good, try that. Lynne
JenniferKy
on 6/15/08 8:09 am - KY
I get this from my Doctors office and it is Hot Chocolate.. Three scoops in the morning and three at night she said it was 60 grams.. http://www.protidiet.com/product/beverages/cocoa-hot-drink-c ontainer.html

Most Active