Soy Protein? (TMI Warning)

IzosMommy
on 6/5/08 9:11 am - TX
I've been using whey protein since my surgery and it upsets my stomach. I keep thinking that it is normal because before I had the surgery I still had Bile Salt Diarrhea. Is it the whey that is upsetting my stomach or the BDS? And would switching to Soy protein help with any of it? Thanks in advance.

Pam T.
on 6/5/08 11:08 pm - Saginaw, MI
What are you mixing your whey protein with?

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

IzosMommy
on 6/6/08 12:01 am - TX
Sometimes jus****er. Sometimes 2% milk. But I can drink the 2% strait with no upset stomach.

Pam T.
on 6/6/08 12:18 am - Saginaw, MI
It is very common to become lactose intolerant after surgery.  Whey protein is made from milk -- but if you are using Whey ISOLATE protein powder then almost all of the lactose has been removed during the manufacturing process.  If you are using Whey CONCENTRATE there is a higher amount of lactose.  So check which one you're using (it'll say in the ingredient list of your protein powder). Do you get an upset stomach if you mix your protein powder with water?  Or just with milk?  At the beginning, I used soy milk to make my shakes until I was brave enough to try regular milk.  I'm 7 months out and don't seem to have lactose intolerance issues, so I'm one of the lucky ones.  But if you can drink regular milk without a problem, it might be the whey.  Although it seems unlikely that it's cause problems since milke and whey protein are the same exact things.  Might be something else you're eating around the same time as your shake??? Pam

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

IzosMommy
on 6/6/08 12:48 am - TX
I have the Lap Band and don't know if the Lactose intolerance issues come with it or not. I never thought to ask. My Whey protein is concentrate. My stomach still gets upset even if I just mix it with water. Part of me thinks it may be the chocolate in it. I know that sounds odd but that is always in the back of my mind. I usually wait a couple hours in between meals. If not longer. If I drink something it is water. So this is why I am having so much trouble pinning down the reason. Think I will call my doc since he did my Gallbladder removal and Lap Band. See what he says. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.

CANDO
on 6/6/08 1:02 pm - DeWitt, VA
Pam, I expect to see you on "Last Comic Standing" someday.  Your take on the episode with the sleep study is hilarious!  I am awaiting my surgery date now and really appreciate your detailed and obviously deeply researched information, especially the 2 week pre-op protein diet.  Thanks so very much for taking the time to lend a hand to the "junior" members of our WLS sorority! LIBSLIM
Pam T.
on 6/6/08 11:01 pm - Saginaw, MI
LOL!  That sleep study from hell still gives me nightmares!  It was the biggest waste of my time ever!  Glad I could help out with my blabberings on my profile and blog.  Holler if you have any questions. Pam

Most Active