gaining from stress

Rebecca G.
on 6/5/08 9:27 am - New Bern, NC
I moved down to California from Washington about 9 months ago, within the last probably 6 months I have gained 40 pounds back. A lot has happened and I'm stressed and depressed. I've been bingeing and eating emotionally and I can't stop. I can't just say no!  The foods are not good for me either. I have no energy either, so I want less and less to work out or even leave the house for that matter. It seems like now I am never full, and it scares me to death. I don't want to get back to where I was.
 Rebecca
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/08 11:06 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

A couple comments here.  First, kudos for recognizing what's going on:  you are using food for something other than it's nutritional value.  You are eating because you are stressed, and it sounds like you may also have some depression as well.  One of the keys to long-term weight loss maintenance is identifying the ways we use food for things other than nutrition, and replacing those old, unhealthy habits with new, healthy coping mechanisms.   I can't tell you exactly how to "fix" this for yourself, but I will offer a couple suggestions.  First, find a WLS support group in Washington; for me, it's often helpful to know I'm not alone in my battle with food.  If there isn't a WLS-specific support group in your area, perhaps you could get support from Weigh****chers or Overeater's Anonymous.  Even though their programs are not specifically geared to WLS folks, the issues we face are similar to the non-op folks who use those programs.  Also, WW might help provide some structure so you can lose that 40 pound regain.   Second, talk to your doctor about the depression.  There are a lot of good medications that are avaialble these days to treat depression, and you might get some really needed relief from one of them.  Depending on what else is going on your life, it may also be helpful to talk to a therapist.  The issues you're dealing with are not things that are easily "fixed," and a therapist can often help guide us to a new, healthier us in safe, manageable steps.   Third, I will gently encourage you to ACT NOW.  Do not wait until tomorrow.  Do not wait until next month.  Do not wait until 40 pounds becomes 50 pounds, which becomes 60 pounds.  You can do something about this, but you have to take control and accept responsibility, and you can do these things.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie

McGyarnkle
on 6/19/08 10:46 am - Fort Worth, TX

Hi Becky, my name is Jeanyne (nyne) for short and i can totally relate to your situation and your  pain.  I was looking through all these post just trying to find at least one person who might be going through what i am at this moment, wanting to post about what is going on with me but too embarrassed and ashamed to admit that at almost two years out i have hit a plateau (and not because i just hit one) I know it is from the things i have been eating and i have been eating for emotional comfort and i have been noticing that i have been eating a lot more too and choosing all the wrong things junk that is easy to digest.  It makes me feel good for that moment simply because for that moment i am thinking about something other than my emotional distress.  I have not come to a point that I feel comfortable talking about what bothers me with anyone and like you i am so afraid.  I totally commend you for having the courage to admit what you are going through and seeking help.   Even as i type this i am still struggling but this is what i am looking forward to...Three months ago my (very excellent surgeon who is still sticking along side me through this noticed that i was at a standstill so he asked me to journal and come back in three months instead of the usual "see ya next year" well remarkably i did not that whole three months did not eat right, journal or exercise...i gained about 11  pounds he was disappointed and asked what was going on...i opened up and explained i was having issues...so he is sending me to a nutritionist and to a special program here in tx desinged to help pre op & post op bariatric patients...the doc called me the other day (not my surgeon ) the one over this program and kept using the word agressive...i finally asked him to define what he meant he said 30 mins cardi every day....journaling....physc....ect.... he said he made a promise to my surgeon and his assistant that he would try to help me ....my point in saying all this is although i am scared...i know i can't do this own my own at this point because of the emotional aspect of it all, like it was just suggested get help now....i have even called my pcp and asked for a referral to a physcologist (pardon any spelling errors :) ) and i am trying to get in to see her and i will try to faithful attend all my support group meetings. I am glad i ran across your post. If you would also like to keep in touch with me maybe we can help each other since we are kinda of going through the same thing right now. Anyway keep me posted on how things are working out and i  wish you all the best. One thing to remember too as my doc told me  we went through too much to get this far. Don't give up your not alone.... i'm scared too. big texas hugs to you nyne.

Rebecca G.
on 6/19/08 12:57 pm - New Bern, NC
I wanted to journal. I bought a notebook and everything, but I can't ever remember what I are and I'm just plain ashamed to write how much I ate because I know that I am not supposed to be eating anything near what I can eat. It's depressing and my surgeon is in another state and I can't find any support groups around here either. It's all just so depressing and frusterating. My dad had the surgery too, but he's doing better, he hardly eats and here I am pigging out. That makes me feel worse too.
McGyarnkle
on 6/20/08 8:51 am - Fort Worth, TX

Most of my immediate family (except my mom) so my dad and three sisters have had either RNY or lap band and none of us are were we should be. i hear you on the journaling that is why i don't write it down too. but why don't we make it a goal together to write it down even if it's a bad day...and then maybe the more good days we have than the bad ones we can look and see we are not doing as bad as we  think. it's so hard and it can be frustrating I think the worse thing either of us can do is nothing. a least any step toward the right direction is a forward movement. I want to feel how i felt three months ago oh do you know about the website fitday.com i am thinking about using that to help journal and track somethings. well hang in there girl!

Most Active