frozen protein??

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/08 7:55 am, edited 6/4/08 7:55 am - Decatur, AL
can protein powder be frozen and still maintain it's integrity? in other words, can i use a scoop of vanilla protein powder, mix it with some other ingredients and then freeze it for a summertime treat and still be getting the benefit of the protein that i added? or does it begin to break down like when you heat it? does anybody know for sure? or... does it even actually break down when you HEAT it??? i'm so confused.
Pam T.
on 6/5/08 6:35 am - Saginaw, MI
Protein powder is a stable product.  You can freeze it, bake with it, heat it, microwave it, leave it at room tempurature.  It's fine.  It does not break down and lose it's integrity.  Protein is protein and will remain protein until you eat it when it gets converted to amino acids.  Here's the deal... Protein (any type of protein, not just powder) denaturalizes when it is heated or cooled.  All that means is that the structure of the protein chain changes.  No big deal.  Even if the structure is changed, it's still the same protein compound.   For instance, think of an egg.  A raw egg white is pure protein - it's clear in color.  So what happens when you scramble the egg white?  It turns white.  That is an indicator that the protein has been denaturalized (changed from it's natural state).  If an egg is cooked, it's still pure protein and the body can deal with it just as well. So yes, you can freeze protein powder.  You can also heat it.   Of course if you heat it, you've got to do it right so you don't get the gross lumps - but that's just a taste and texture thing.  It's not any indication that the protein has lost its integrity. Hope that helps, Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/08 6:38 am - Decatur, AL
that's kinda what i figured but after someone's comment on martitalinda's ice cream thread on the main board yesterday i kinda thought i might need some clarification, lols. anywho, thanks
marckwhite
on 6/11/08 11:01 am
Absolutely, you can do alot things with protein powders.  They are so versatile.  Freezing the  protein won't damage it at all.  Have you tried the "Any Whey" from Optimim Nutrition?  You can make pancakes, cakes, anything you want with it.
Cynthia L.
on 6/21/08 7:06 am - Clarence, NY

Do you know the reason Unjury says to make sure what you're mixing the powder into is no hotter than 130 degrees?  I wasn't sure if the heat screws with the protein or it just makes it hard to mix, without lumps.  What say you?  Does this means that after you mix it, you can heat it to higher than 130? (I like my coffee hotter than 130 degrees).

-Cynthia 

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

Most Active