Getting ready for the 2 week pre-op and have ??

Michelle A.
on 5/31/08 9:55 am - manchester, NH
So, I am reading...reading...and reading some more.   One question I do not see addressed.... If I am going to do three protien 'shakes' or high protien broth or whatnot....does those ounces count toward my total fluid intake for the day?  Or is it 64oz above and beyond those 3 8oz. protien shakes? THANKS. Michelle
Pam T.
on 5/31/08 10:51 pm - Saginaw, MI
Hi Michelle - All nutritionists have different rules, but most seem to say that any liquid counts towards your total daily need of 64oz.  Except for coffee or any caffeinated beverge -- those don't count. However, I can speak from experience that during those 2 weeks pre-op you're going to want to drink all 64oz plus the 3 shakes everyday.  The water will help keep the hunger at bay.  The first 4 days of the liquid diet is brutal and you'll want to give up.  But after day 4 you'll turn a corner and realize it's not that bad afterall.  I was amazed that my body could be perfectly satisfied with just 8oz of soup or protein shake and not get hungry.  It's good training for your brain about how it's going to be fed after surgery.  I think the 2-week pre-op diet was the most important part of my journey that ensured success after surgery. Good luck with your surgery!  It'll be here before you know it! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Michelle A.
on 5/31/08 11:57 pm - manchester, NH
Thanks Pam....I have two weeks until I meet the surgeon.   I decided that I am going to start doing a protien shake each morning until then.  That way I get to try some out and figure out what I kind of like.  It will also reduce my calorie intake.  I did go and buy that 21 sampler pack.  Lets hope I like some of them.  So far I have only tried the unjury chicken, vanilla and chocolate.  I like the chicken and chocolate (not together of course!)  but the vanilla I could live without! Thanks again! Michelle
Pam T.
on 6/1/08 7:10 am - Saginaw, MI
Michelle - Be careful about trying samples before surgery.  Your taste buds WILL change afterward.  What you like now probably won't taste good after surgery. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active