vitamin intake

wahoo59
on 5/29/08 3:22 am - Cranbury, NJ
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I had a big question on what is the proper amount of vitamins we should be takin. My nut told me about multi and calcium. But not the rest. What is everyone out there taking and how much? Thank You in advance.      Tommy
Andrea U.
on 5/29/08 9:48 am - Wilson, NC
This is really dependant on your labs.  When was the last time you had yours pulled?
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 10:40 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Recommendations vary by surgeon and nutritionist.  Here's what I take and I'm 2 1/2+ years post-op: Morning/daytime - 1 dose of Citracal (2 tablets) - 1 glucosamine/chondroitin (for arthritis/cartilage issues) - 1 zinc - 1 biotin Evening - daily multivitamin for women (has more iron than regular multivitamin) - additional iron supplement - vitamin C (aids w/ absorption of iron) - vitamin D - sublingual B-12 - 1 zinc - 1 biotin - 3 stool softeners (ducosate sodium - otherwise, iron causes constipation) Your needs may vary depending how much you malabsorb, so regular follow-up labs are important so you know if you need to increase, decrease, or add supplements.  I recently had labwork done and my vitamin D was low, so I just added that supplement to my daily routine.  Because our bodies malabsorb after RNY, it's super important to make sure you are getting the right vitamins and minerals; otherwise, you can develop deficiencies that are challenging to correct.  I'd encourage you to ask your nut for a more detailed recommendation that's specific to you!   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie

Pam T.
on 5/30/08 12:15 am - Saginaw, MI
This is definitely NOT the type of advice you want to be getting from a forum.  Your PCP or nutritionist needs to set these levels.  And you need to do your own additional research on the topic and then talk to your doctor about your finding before you randomly add extras.  Your supplement intake should be based on your blood work results.  At a minimum you should be taking: 2 adult multi-vitamins 1500mg to 2000mg calcium citrate (not carbonate) Everything else is based on your own body.  Many vitamins can become toxic to the body if taken in large doses when your body doesn't need them.  For instance, everyone says to take iron.  But my iron levels are just fine and actually rising since surgery ... so if I were taking extra iron I'd be poisoning my body with supplements which can cause some pretty nasty side effects.  HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active