Carbs and fuzzy headed?

deniseg
on 5/28/08 1:05 pm - Monticello, AR
Here lately, like the last 4-5 days or so I've been feeling fuzzy headed...not exactly dizzy or lightheaded, just really fuzzy.  My surgeon had told me many months ago that too many carbs can cause dizziness and lightheadedness....does anyone know for sure if this is true?  I admit I have been eating more carbs than I usually do, and not the good ones either so I figure there must be some truth to it.  Does anyone know WHY too many carbs can cause this?  I like to have a clear understanding of how my body is reacting to things, ya know? Thanks for any help or info!

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Jean M.
on 5/30/08 6:32 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I'm no expert, but I wonder if your blood sugar is out of whack. I have type 2 diabetes.  Here is my experience with "bad" carbs: Carbs like simple starches (that is, white potatoes, white flour, white rice, and sugar, as opposed to carbs like non-starchy vegs, whole grains and dairy) make me fuzzy because of their effect on my blood sugar.  It can be a vicious cycle.  My blood sugar drops and I get hungry and light-headed.  If I eat a simple starch, my blood sugar spikes way up, which causes moodiness and an inability to concentrate.  Then my blood sugar quickly drops way down, and I'm back to hunger and lightheadedness and craving more carbs. If, however, I eat protein and a complex carb (like cottage cheese w/ a little fruit mixed into it), my blood sugar goes up a reasonable amount, stays there for a few hours, and I don't crave carbs. My PCP gave me a glucose monitor and an RX for testing strips that are paid for by my medical insurance.  You might want to check in with your PCP, have your fasting blood sugar tested, and get a glucose monitor.  And cut out the "bad" carbs! Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Northstar
on 6/1/08 6:36 am - Struthers, OH

I thought it might br related to you blood sugar level as well but I'm no doctor either.  Keep track of what you eat and how long after you feel this way and any other "symptoms" so whrn you do talk to you doctor he can help. My blood sugar drops about 1 1/2 hours after I eat too mayn carbs and sometimes when I exercise. eating a protien with some fruit clears it up.

Madeline

At last I have found freedom
TT/BL   4/14/07
BA/ Brachioplasty   11/22/07
LBL   4/21/08
Thigh Lift w/ lipo  11/17/08
deniseg
on 6/1/08 11:48 am - Monticello, AR
Thank you both for your suggestions.  Actually, now that I think about it you both may be right.  Before surgery, if I went too long without eating, I would have problems with my blood sugar dropping too low and now that I'm thinking about it here lately I've not been eating on schedule like I usually do...I've been eating about every 2 hrs. since 6 months after surgery because my surgeon had suggested it to combat dizziness that I was experiencing at that time.  Don't know why I didn't think about it sooner.  I'll discuss it with my PCP when I see her in about two weeks.  Thanks again for reminding me of this!

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Most Active