Confused about Making Protein Shakes....?

lauraanne715
on 5/25/08 5:41 am - Pottstown, PA
Hi Everyone!! I have my surgery on Wed and am concerned about how to make my Protein shakes...do I make it with the whole scoop and just sip on it till its done or do I break it up into tiny portions...but how do I do that if I can't keep it in the fridge for a long period of time??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanx!!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

onecyn
on 5/25/08 8:37 am - El Dorado, CA

Hi, I usually make my shakes with 2 scxoops, them I get a little over 50 grams.  I mix vanilla with Crystal Light orange to make an Orange Julius (Dreamsicle); or, my left over coffee with a little bit of SF Chocolate syrup, pour it over ice.  You really have to use your imagination and just experiment with these shakes.  Go to Eggface's blog, she has tons of good recipes.

I usually drink mine in its entirety so I can get it over with.  I try not to use milk, as it has become hard for me to digest and the shake ibecomes too thick and sweet.  That's what I hate about them the most, they are so sweet!!! It's trial and error... Good luck.

~ Cindy

butterjoy
on 5/25/08 12:26 pm - Elkview, WV
quote " I mix vanilla with Crystal Light orange to make an Orange Julius (Dreamsicle);" unquote. I think that sounds great!  Do you mix vanilla in your crystal light drink? Is it Isopure? How many scoops for 8 oz?   THANKS

* Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger. The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.   
     I have reached my goal! Praying angel:9896

onecyn
on 5/25/08 1:04 pm - El Dorado, CA
I mix the Crystal Light as I would if I were drinking it as a juice; then add it to the protein shake as the liquid.  The protein powder I really like is by Wellements.  It's the vanilla Pro Blend.  Really good.

~ Cindy

Pam T.
on 5/25/08 11:52 am - Saginaw, MI
It's best to ONLY make up the amount of protein shake that you can drink within an hour or so.  Just like any other food you prepare -- if you let a protein shake sit out while you sip on it throughout the day (or several hours) it will begin to grow bacteria.  Also, many protein powders have a tendency to separate from the liquid you mix it with and can start getting "yucky".  Right after my surgery I could only do about 4oz of protein shake at a time (within 30 minutes).  So I'd make one up with just a half a scoop of powder.  Within a month I worked my way up to a full scoop and 8oz of liquid.  Also remember that even if the jar says 52g of protein per serving (or whatever the outrageous number is) -- it's a marketing ploy aimed at bodybuilders.  Just use ONE scoop at a time.  This will give you about 23g to 30g of protein per serving (or half that at the beginning as you work you way up).   You'll hear the myth that your body can only absorb 30g of protein at a time.  That's not necessarily true, BUT -- your body does want a constant flow of protein throughout the day, not all at once.  So you want to split your total day's protein needs up between all your meals and snacks.  So if you need to get 80g of protein per day, eating 20g per meal and 10g per 2 snacks throughout the day is what your body wants.   As for what to mix with the powder.  You can use anything you want to experiment with.  Water, milk, soy milk, crystal light, decaf coffee, diet juice, etc.  I have a few of my favorite recipes on my OH Profile that might get your started.  Good luck with your surgery next week! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

butterjoy
on 5/25/08 12:37 pm - Elkview, WV
HI PAM, I WAS TRYING TO FIND THE PROTEIN POWDER RECIPES BUT WAS UNABLE TO FIND IT.  WILL YOU TELL ME HOW TO FIND THE RECIPES.  THANKS!

* Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger. The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.   
     I have reached my goal! Praying angel:9896

Pam T.
on 5/25/08 12:43 pm - Saginaw, MI

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

southernbelle52
on 5/30/08 7:38 am - Jacksonville, AL
Designer Whey can be mixed with just 3-4 oz. of either water or milk per 1 scoop powder. You might want to try it. It is pretty tasty. 1 scoop = 18 g or protein for 100 calories Good luck on your surgery vickie
PinkFlamingoes
on 6/1/08 5:07 am - Buckley, WA
Laura , According to my nutritionist & Vita Lady , who are both WLS people , it's very unlikly that we will absorb more that 30 grams of protein at a time (unless you are very very athletic) . My nutritionist has education to back her & Vita Lady absorbs any medical research she can find . Partially because it's her business & partially because of her bariatric surgery , which she had back when there was little info on nutrion or supplements , etc...Only mix what you can drink in 15-30 minutes as the protein will break down & will no longer be of any benefit to you . I would begin with 1/2 scoop in the beginning . Congratulations on your upcoming surgery !!! Kathy

BLG0272
on 6/5/08 7:03 am - Dallas, TX
I use the brand from walmart.....I cant think of what its called right at this second....but I use one scoop and mix with a little bit of water.........put into my coffee .....and this is my protein coffee first thing in the morning..............it reminds me of a cafe mocha from star bucks............

Most Active