Protein That Won't Make Me Puke???

Jess B
on 5/25/08 10:33 am - Simpsonville, SC
Does anyone know of a protein that you can have post op that tastes pretty good? I have tried these: Isopure, unjury unflavored and chicken, protein pops, RTD 51, Nectar and a few others that I can't remember right now and they all make me gag and some make me sick. Does anyone know of a protein supplement that tastes good and is easy to tolerate?
Pam T.
on 5/25/08 12:07 pm - Saginaw, MI
Jess - You just gotta keep trying flavors and brands until you find something that works.  You also can't really use these first couple weeks after surgery as the final answer on your tastes.  You've still got anesthesia in your system and it is effecting your taste buds right now --- at about the 2 or 3 week mark things change again.  Don't you just hate that?!  LOL I lived on samples of protein powder for the first 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  I went through about 4 dozen different flavors/brands before I found 3 or 4 that I liked enough to buy a whole jar of.  I started out with the 21-flavor sample pack from www.enjoyhealth.com and also got samples from my local GNC, grocery store, friends and health food store.  Also got some from www.bariatriceating.com.   I have a list of local and online resources listed on my OH Profile of where to get samples.  Before surgery I used the Body Fortress brand from Wal-Mart and liked it fine - not great, but it worked.  Right after surgery I hated it and couldn't gag it down.  Then one day about 3 months out from surgery I tried it again and LOVED it.  Was the best protein I'd ever tried.  Now I drink that brand everyday and the other ones I thought I liked don't taste as good to me anymore.  Crazy, huh? The taste also depends on lot on what you mix it with.  Water, milk, soy milk, crystal light, juice, decaf coffee, etc.  Also depends on how you mix it -- stir it up with a spoon or whisk; whiz it in a blender; shake it up in a shaker bottle.... it all effects the taste and texture.  Gotta experiment until you figure out what works for you.  Also a lot of people can't stand the smell of protein powder, so they put it in a sippy cup or bottle with a small opening and drink it that way so they can't smell it. Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

sharlenew
on 5/28/08 12:49 pm - Steelville, MO
I will have to patton this recipe.  Lots of people have tried it and love it like I do. 4oz skim milk 4oz water 2 equal 1tsp Folgers decaf coffee 1/2 scoop Unjury vanilla 1/2 scoop Unjury chocolate 6 ice cubes Stir until mixed well It is soooo ummy and quick and easy. Good luck.  It is the only thing that I can tolerate and believe me, I have tried a bunch.

Hugs,
Sharlene
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/08 2:09 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Most of the higher-quality protein supplements tasted awful to me after surgery.  I wound up using the No-Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast, made w/ skim milk and additional non-fat powdered milk (for extra protein).  NSA CIB is not the greatest source of liquid protein, but it got me through until I was cleared for pureed food.   Good luck finding something you can tolerate -  Kellie
bursonc
on 5/29/08 1:38 pm
Try adding some sugar free / fat free jello to your protein drink or shot (mix the jello powder w/ a little boiling water to dissolve - highly concentrated.  Makes it taste better. Also you can add the crystal light  powder or the individual water flavorings.  You just have to doctor it up. Make sure you look at Tantrica's profile on OH.  She has great recipes listed.  Look at her archive months (scroll down if they are not listed at the top of her blog).   Best advice:  Hold your nose, take a drink and follow it w/ something you like.
southernbelle52
on 5/30/08 7:35 am - Jacksonville, AL
Designer Whey is gooooooood. It is the only chocolate and vanilla protein I have been able to tolerate since surgery. It is not thick and I don't really smell it at all. I put my milk in a water bottle add a scoop, shake, and enjoy. You don't need a blender to mix it with. I have stirred it up with a spoon. It is still smooth. 1 scoop = 18 g of protein for only 100 calories. It is also relatively inexpensive. A can cost me $9.99 and I got it when it was buy one get one free. So that was a deal. Hope you find one you like soon. Vickie
penthilisea
on 6/9/08 10:41 am - Milford, NJ
Vega Whole Food Smoothie Infusion rocks my world. I have been raving lately. It's only 14 grams of protein per serving but every little bit helps, doesn't taste bad AT ALL, is vegan, etc etc!
glitter graphicsglitter graphicsglitter graphics

Mal: "Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt" Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Most Active