Protein tablets/capsules

cbhjr98
on 5/22/08 11:35 pm
Has anyone taken protein capsules to help get protein in? I have yet to find any protein powder/drink that doesn't cause me to vomit. I found a liver capsule that contains 3.2 gm of protein per 2 capsules - it's also high in iron and b12. (Basically it's freeze dried beef liver put in tablets). I have no problem with any tablets or capsules. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiance or other knowledge of these type pills.  I know I'd have to take a lot of them, but I can't get all my protein in via just food and I can't drink it, I don't want to keep not meeting my protein goal either. Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Pam T.
on 5/23/08 12:17 am - Saginaw, MI
So, to get your full protein requirements for the day you'd need to take about 20 pills a day.  Not my idea of fun.  Plus, with high levels of iron and b12 in each pill you run the risk of overdosing on iron - which can be toxic to the body.  And B12 in a tablet wouldn't to you any good because you no longer have Intrinsic Factor in your pouch, so you need to get it sublingually.

From Worlds Healthiest Foods What are toxicity syptoms for iron?

Iron poisoning, caused by acute ingestion of large quantities of iron-containing supplements, causes nausea, vomiting, damage to the lining of the intestinal tract, shock, and liver failure, and is a leading cause of death among children.

Chronic iron overload, or excessive iron storage, can cause a variety of symptoms including loss of appetite, fatigue, weight loss, headaches, bronze or gray hue to the skin, dizziness, nausea, and shortness of breath. It is generally believed that chronic iron toxicity occurs only in people *****quire regular blood transfusions, take iron supplements, or in those with a genetic iron storage disorder called hemachromatosis. With hemochromatosis, iron is deposited in tissues throughout the body, most notably the liver, pancreas, and heart, potentially causing cirrhosis, diabetes, or cardiac insufficiency.  In addition, iron has been found in increased levels in the joints of people with rheumatoid arthritis. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

cbhjr98
on 5/23/08 1:11 am
Pam, I have low iron anyways so I see the extra iron as a positive. I already take iron supplements. I figured 20 pills was better than not getting my protein in period. There have been days where I can't get more than 10-15 gm in. Seem pills to make up the difference would be better than long term protein deficency.   I was just wondering if anyone else had taken them and their experiances.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/08 1:36 am
In my humble opinion......you should be ok on them, just until your iron stores build up, since you're anemic anyways......BUT....keep a close eye on your iron labs. The iron in desicated liver tablets is an awesome iron. It's absorbs really well, cause it's made from meat, blood tissue etc...So it will help you bring up those iron stores (ferritin levels) really fast. (unlike the ferrous type of irons, that are made from plants and we don't absorb them all that well.)  Have you tried any of the Syntrax Nectar products? They have some awesome fruit flavors that I mix with crystal light, instead of water, for added flavor. And there 2 new ones, Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Torte. These are really tasty as well. I use only about 4 to 6 oz of water for these, for added flavor. They rock, too!  I work for a vitamin supplement store and while, in my opinion, the amino acid tablets (protein tablets, desicated liver tabs, basically all the same thing) are OK, for you for awhile, I would really try to find a protein powder you can tolerate. They are much stronger and have a more complete amino acid profile (more protein suitable for us) than trying to make it on capsules and tablets that are way low in these nutrients, and you have to take SO many of them.  Just my two cents worth! Hope this helps!
cbhjr98
on 5/23/08 1:50 am
Thanks Lyn! And I did try the apple nectar - unfortunately it tasted just as nasty coming back up as going down. It only stayed down for about two minutes... yikes.  I did try it twice though - no luck. Cass

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/08 2:12 am

Yup, the apple nectar is THE nastiest one! I LOVE the fuzzy navel with crystal light! It's my fave! And the two new ones, vanilla and chocolate are soooo yummy! Also, a lot of websites offer sample sizes of all of the nectar flavors, so you could try them before buying a big 2 lb tub.  I do know, that if you're near a Vitamin Shoppe, they're return policy is a good one. I exchange tubs of protein all the time for WLS patients. If they tell me it makes them , the return policy states that if they have their receipt, (make you sure you hang on to yours, until you see if you can tolerate it or not...) I will exchange it for something else for you to try.  Keep on trying, there's some yummy proteins out there! Have a great day!

Most Active