Now I'm hypoglycemic!! WTF

Jo C.
on 5/21/08 9:58 am - CABAZON, CA
Hi all,

Hoping a fab nut can help me. I have an appointment with my preventative medicine doc to get a referral but now that they changed my school schedule I'm going to have to pu**** back even further.

Went to the doc last week, thought I was going to pass out. My blood sugar was 66!!

He told me I need to add more complex carbs in my diet. From what EVERYONE has told me this is a big no no in the RNY world. I am 9 months out and have hit a horrible plateau. I have maybe lost 1-2 lbs in over 1 month.

Here's my basic daily diet...maybe you can help

Pre breakfast -cup of coffee w/splash of 2% milk n' splenda
Breakfast- Kroger carb master (or whatever it's called) yogurt w/handful of special k or cheerios.
Snack- string cheese
Lunch- lean cuisine w/protein and veggie...no potato/rice/pasta
Snack- apple sauce or something small
Dinner- protein, veggie, and 1/2 c of some carb (rice usually)
before bed- spoon of PB or cottage cheese.

I'm usually very good about grazing and if I need something as a snack I may grab a popsicle or something like that.

I really want to lose at least 25 more lbs. I'm at 176 and want to hit that 150 mark.

HELP!!!
Andrea U.
on 5/21/08 10:22 pm - Wilson, NC
I had *very* severe reactive hypoglycemia during my first pregnancy and saw a RNY nut. She told me to cut out carbs completely and to have nothing but protein. It didn't work for me (I was passing out every 5 minutes), but that's what she told me. Maybe give it a try?  Also, you might want to PM MeltingMama.. she has severe issues with hypoglycemia and probably has some good suggestions.
LizzyL
on 5/21/08 11:33 pm, edited 5/21/08 11:35 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello, I had hypoglycemia, and i went to my surgeon and he said bottonline, you are eating the wrong foods to cause you to have hypoglycemia. So by looking at your daily diet up above, you are bascially not eating the right foods.  For example your breakfast and before bed is wrong.. you are very sensitive now to carbs. This is causing you to crash and have hypoglycemia. I recommend you to change your eating around and cut out most of your simple refine carbs. Breakfast- Kroger carb master (or whatever it's called) yogurt w/handful of special k or cheerios.  The cereal's are what causing you to crash. cut the cereal out. have eggs or cottage cheese instead with a piece of fruit or a veggie egg omelet. your before bed - is wrong. The PB is also causing you to crash. The sweetners in the PB can cause your blood sugars to go wacky - hypoglycemia. So SKIP the before bed- spoon of PB or cottage cheese. just have the cottage cheese and almonds. this will keep your blood sugars stable. I was also eating cereals and PB. and they were both causing me to have hypoglycemia. I changed what I was eating and i do not have anymore I was also eating cereals and PB. and they were both causing me to have hypoglycemia problems.  stay away from simple refine carbs. Simple carbs form sugar very quickly causing you to have hypoglycemia problems. Bascially cereals and PB are causing this problem for you. The samething happened to me as well. I had to cut it all out of my diet. Now i stay away from cereals and PB. practice reading the food labels and eat only good HIGH FIBER foods.  I Do NOT recommend you eating cereals with high fiber either.  because hypoglycemia can probably happen again to you. you want to keep your blood sugars stable eat fruits and veiges. Stay away from carbs for now until you can get this carb thing under control again. You can also speak to meltingmama about this as well. She is going this as well. She posts mainly on the main board. change what you are eating and see if this helps good luck Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

Karen S.
on 5/23/08 1:50 pm - Hudson Falls, NY

Hi Jo,

I am 9 months out and I too have been having problems with hypoglycemia.  I was diabetic prior to the surgery but have been off Metformin since my surgery.  What I found was fruit tends to make my blood sugars crash about an hour after I finish eating it.  So, I have learned that if I am going to eat fruit I also now include cottage cheese...seems to be working.

When I spoke with NUT she looked at what I was eating and said that I did not have enough carbs in my meals..she said that I should have 15-20 grams of CHO per meal.  I was reading the other responses and they say that opposite so now I am confused again.

I have also noticed if I wait to long before eating, (you know get the bills paid before you eat lunch lol) that I drop so I am trying to eat more often to see if that helps, for instance breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack..it is not easy because I am not hungry and my pouch fills up quickly. 

Good luck..God bless.  Karen Schworm

Most Active