Liquid Protein Question

NorthernOntarioGirl
on 5/20/08 8:22 am - Canada
Hello, I am 1 week post-op.  I had RNY.  I have been very tired, weak and dizzy.  I am at the thck liquid phase.  I haven't been consuming much of my optifast protein shakes because I don't like them at all and have instead been eating vegetable soups.  I realize that I need more protein.  So, my wonderful husband whipped me up some homemade low-fat cream of chicken soup and I purchased some PVL Lemon Lime Whey Cooler at Walmart today.  It is sugar free and is the consistency of orange juice.  Can anyone tell me if this can be sipped at during the day or if I must consume this as a meal?  Thank you. 

15 lbs lost prior to surgery

Dave Chambers
on 5/20/08 11:19 am - Mira Loma, CA
There are protein powders that come in flavors or unflavored. You can get the unflavored from www.bulkfoods.com as well as a variety of other food items and calcium citrate in powdered form. There are also a variety of no shake sources of protein, commonly called bullets. You need to have 60-80 grams of protein daily, meaning you probably have to have 2 or 3 shakes daily. You can sip it, or consume as a meal. Protein is normally considered a meal, or a snack, depending on when you have it in your eating program.   Tired and weak is normal for the first few weeks past surgery.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pam T.
on 5/21/08 4:30 am - Saginaw, MI
Congratulations on  your surgery!  The first few weeks are the hardest ... it gets a lot easier as you get further out. I've never seen the PVL Cooler at Wal-Mart... gonna need to check it out.  As with any protein shake/drink once you mix it up, you should drink it within an hour or so.  If you let protein powder sit around (even in the fridge) it begins to accumulate bacteria.  Just like any other food you let sit out.  So only make up as much as you can drink within an hour or so. As for making it a meal or liquid.  That depends on your surgeon's guidelines.  MY guidelines were:  3 meals per day (food) and 3 snacks per day which had to be protein shakes. The shakes were also counted toward my liquid requirement of 64oz.   I'm sure you know how important protein is at this stage.  One of the main tasks of protein is to aid in healing wounds and repairing damaged cells.  It will also provide fuel for your muscles (including your heart).   HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active