fighting eating battle

tl_morgan
on 5/18/08 3:12 pm - riverton, WY
I have had weight loss for 3 years now.  Weight loss surgery that is.  The roux en y.  I am 15 pounds or so from weight goal but I feel that I am out of control. I may still eat small amount but I feel that I am not stopping eating.  I eat more then I use too and I am not gaining weight but I am not losing weight.  i know I need help some where so I do not know who to talk to or what to do. I have our group here but I am just kind of lost so I thought I might hit someone else outside of our group and see if there are people in yours or something that is willing to help or share food menu ideas or something.  I am getting unhappy and depressed sometimes I guess.  But I want to lose this 15 pounds before I have plastic surgery.  I am anemic right now so they don't want me going to the gym at the moment so I am just kind of off.  I stay at home and watch kids so that is part of my factor I eat, and then I want to go eat again.   I know that my body could live without it but I my mind, mouth or something keep thinking I need too.   So help please if you can.   laurie
Pam T.
on 5/18/08 11:53 pm - Saginaw, MI
The crazy thing about this surgery is that they only operate on our stomach and intestines.  They don't touch our brain at all.  And I personally think it's harder to deal with the mental stuff than it is to deal with the physical act of eating --- the brain has a lot of power. It sounds like you need to talk to a counselor about how you can control your eating triggers.  Are you eating because you're bored? stressed? angry? happy? depressed? or some other reason?  What is your trigger and how can you deal with it on a day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute basis?   One thing that works for me most of the time is keeping myself on a very strict eating schedule.  I have my 3 meals and 2 snacks scheduled throughout the day so I'm eating something about every 3-4 hours.  If I find myself thinking about food or wanting something to eat between those scheduled eating times, I remind myself that I've got a scheduled snack coming up in 40 minutes (or whatever).  I keep my schedule in my cell phone and have an alarm go off for things that I often forget.   My mom is 5 years out from RNY and she's also struggling with about 30 pounds -- her trigger emotion is stress and being too busy to give eating much time.  So she's now taking steps to get a handle on those issues by setting an appointment with the nutritionist and doctor at the bariatric clinic where she had surgery and she's also signed up to do the same 10-week group therapy session I took right after my surgery that helps people identify eating issues and helps to set goals for success.   HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active