NUT's Drinking Liquid and Measuring Food

baileysmom2004
on 5/18/08 6:16 am
I am just over a  week out.  Can you stretch your pouch by drinking your liquids too fast?

I sip, sip, sip and then sip, sip, sip some more in order to get all my liquids in.  Then I almost feel like I'm "sloshing".  Is this normal?  My Nut says not to drink for 30 minutes before eating, take 30 minutes to eat and wait 60 minutes after that before drinking again - so that means if I eat 3 meals a day I am losing 6 hours a day to get in my liquids.

I am only eating one egg per meal which I believe is 2 ozs in volume.

My NUT has us measure by VOLUME rather than by weight.  Is this how everyone else does it?  

I am confused as to how I will be able to figure out the number of proteins when I am allowed to begin introducing other foods into my diet when I look at the nutritional label as it is always by weight.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave Chambers
on 5/18/08 7:45 am - Mira Loma, CA
I used 2 one ounce cups to measure foods. Always sip liquids. You swallow too fast, and it comes back up. A couple of months past my RNY, I took a couple of big swigs of iced tea on a hot day in the summer. It came back up like a rocket.  Two sips every 15 minutes, on ounce per sip. That's 8 oz per hour.  If you start at 7 AM, allow for meals, and go to bed at 10 PM, that still allows 9 hours to drink. 9 hours x 8 oz per hour is 72 oz.  48 to 64 oz of water is recommended, and this includes your shakes. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pam T.
on 5/18/08 11:22 pm - Saginaw, MI
Yep, we've all been there.  If you do the math it's nearly impossible to sip enough water to get it all in during the day.  We'd have to be up for 18 hours a day or something like that.  BUT -- it does get easier as time goes by.  Just continue trying and eventually you'll realize you're getting all your liquids in for the day and it's not as hard.   The "sloshing" is normal.  Especially during these first few weeks, your insides sound like world war III inside your tummy.  You'll have a lot of gurguling and sloshing and noises as things rearrange themselves and start to get accustom to what you're feeding it.   Yes, volume measuring is normal at this stage of the game too.  Your pouch will hold about 2 ounces of stuff right now, so measuring how much you're eating in volume is very important.  And no, you can't stretch your pouch from drinking liquids -- it's like a funnel and water just slides straight through.  I have used www.fitday.com from the very beginning of my journey (and before surgery too).  You can add the food you eat, adjust the amount you ate and it will automatically calculate the calories/protein/carbs/fat for you.  I use it mostly to keep track of my protein grams throughout the day so I don't have to keep a running tally in my head (too lazy for that).  I don't necessarily count calories religiously - it's all about protein for me right now.   HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wendy_fou
on 5/19/08 9:04 am - AR
Most pouches are made to hold 2 tablespoons (by volume) initially.  After about 3 - 4 weeks, they tend to hold about 4 tablespoons (by volume).  (One medium egg is usually about 4 tablespoons or less.) For 97 cents at Wal-Mart, you can get a coffee ground scooper.  Most of those are 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons).  That is what I used.   For about $32 at Wal-Mart, you can get a digital scale.  I measure  my food on that! 
Most Active