Stool Softeners

N G.
on 5/15/08 2:35 am
RNY on 12/06/07 with

If you use stool softeners what brand do you use?  Can you take them everyday?  Or are there certain foods we should be eating to help us go easier? Thanks, Nancy

Amy_in_MA
on 5/15/08 2:41 am - Danvers, MA
I use the generic version of Colace (be it from CVS, Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, etc.). I take 4 daily... 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I also eat a high fiber diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables as well as whole grain complex carbs.

N G.
on 5/15/08 3:00 am
RNY on 12/06/07 with

Thank you Amy! 

Pam T.
on 5/15/08 6:54 am - Saginaw, MI
I take a generic brand too.  I get mine at Wal-Mart but don't remember what it's a generic of.  I take 1 per day and try to keep my fiber up in the 25-30g range everyday.   But I still have problems. Yesterday my PCP suggested I start on fish oil pills to see if that'll do any good for me.  We'll see! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

N G.
on 5/15/08 5:05 pm
RNY on 12/06/07 with
Thank you Pam, I do take omega 3, and so far it hasn't helped.  I will definitely be adding more fiber to my diet.
deniseg
on 5/15/08 1:29 pm - Monticello, AR
Hi Nancy, I use Miralax.  It is a powder laxative/stool softener that can be mixed into any beverage, hot or cold and it does not change the taste.  I mix it into my crystal light and can't taste a difference.  You can use it once a day up to 7 days at a time.  It is very gentle on the tummy and really gets things moving.   If you're having bathroom issues then make sure you're getting enough fiber and fat in your diet.  I had major constipation issues a few months back.  I started taking Miralax and added one dose of Fibersure to my oatmeal every morning and added a little fat back into my diet and I've not had any problems since.  If you cut out too much fat you can have constipation problems and that's what I had done.  So if its an ongoing problem try adding more fiber and fat and see if that helps. Hope this helps!

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

N G.
on 5/15/08 5:05 pm
RNY on 12/06/07 with
Thank you for your suggestions Denise!
Lynn J
on 5/16/08 7:15 am - LA
Nancy, I take magnesium and it really helps.

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
cbhjr98
on 5/18/08 9:28 pm
I take generic colace as well since it's just a stool softener. - 2 in the morning, 1 at night. I was told not to take a laxative as it will flush nutrients and that's not good.  Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
ericawhiddon
on 5/23/08 1:58 pm - Denham Springs, LA
I hadn't done it since before my surgery, almost 2 weeks and my doc said yestarday to take Milk of Magnesia and it worked.
Most Active