iron and milk protein shakes--bad????

sarahunt17
on 5/15/08 3:41 am - big pine key, FL
I knew I wasn't able to take Iron with my calcium supplements, but it never occured to me about dairy for some reason! Is it true that if I take my oron supplement and then drink my protein shake soon after, my iron will not be able to absorb? 

Sara

Dave Chambers
on 5/15/08 6:04 am - Mira Loma, CA
Iron cannot be taken with caclium citrate. I don't know of a reason why iron can't be taken with protein though. There are foods with high iron content, that are eaten with protein during a meal.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pam T.
on 5/15/08 6:50 am - Saginaw, MI
Iron should NOT be taken with dairy products.  Iron and calcium bind to each other and do not absorb.  So not only are you not getting the benefit of your iron pill,  you're also not getting the benefit of that dairy calicum either. Iron is best taken on an empty stomach or about 1 hour after you eat.  Also, be sure you're taking it with Vitamin C.  They help each other absorb better.  Your iron pill might already have Vit C in it, so check the label. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Lynn J
on 5/16/08 6:57 am - LA
Sara, Iron can be taken with protein shakes as long as you don't make them with milk.  I take my iron and Vit C as soon as I wake up.  Then I drink a protein shake made with water and ice.

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
Most Active