Dairy - the most simple of complex carbs?

Jenny R
on 5/14/08 2:09 am
I have been learning more about complex carbs lately and how they impact the body, how very important they are, etc. Very interesting stuff! One thing I came across was how dairy appears to be the most simple form of complex carbohydrates because they create a slow rise in blood sugar more then lets say a green leafy vegetable. See for my snacks - I have a yogurt. It has protein, calcium, healthy carbs, etc. WELL since I read about how dairy will gradually raise blood sugar I wonder if I've been thwarting my weight loss effort with too much yogurt! Although my yogurts (usually 2 a day) fall into a good caloric and carb range for the day, I wonder if my carbs are coming from too much dairy (thus the rise in blood sugar making insulin have to burn before stored fat...) Am I correct in the way I interpreted this? Is dairy is the most simple form of complex carb and should be more limited then consumed "freely" as I had once thought? I like the benefits of yogurt and know there are lower carb alternatives on the market (3 grams versus 16 grams) that I will probably switch to if this is the case. I just found this very interesting and wanted to get the nutritionists here point of view. Thank you! Jenny
  ican.png image by BabyRhi rules.png image by BabyRhi
sarard
on 5/14/08 3:29 am - Costa Mesa, CA
What you're talking about it the glycemic index of food. Glycemic Index is a measurement of the type or quality of carbs in a particular food, and how fast 50 grams of this carbohydrate raises blood glucose levels, (and consequent insulin secretion and effects produced by the pancreas) as it is digested. The Glycemic Response to Yogurt is considered to be a slow effect on blood sugar levels. Which makes it a GOOD CARB. Unless of course, you are buying yogurt with REAL SUGAR added. But at 36g per serving, doesn't look like it. Enjoy the yogurt!! A word of advice -- when using the internet to research this -- try looking up phases like "glycemic index of food" rather than "good carb". You'll get more valid responses. Hope that helps!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 5/14/08 4:12 am - Costa Mesa, CA
In addition -- yogurt will "slowly raise blood sugar" as you stated -- this is what you want. That prevents a huge bolus of insulin in your body. Real sugar, like candy, will quickly raise blood sugar - releasing a big bolus of insulin in your body - that's bad. You don't want that. Does that make sense? This can be a difficult topic to understand.
Registered Dietitian
Pam T.
on 5/14/08 1:11 pm - Saginaw, MI
I found this spreadsheet a while ago...  it's a huge listing of various foods and their glycemic index and glycemic load.  If you scroll down a little bit on this page there's a yellow box with the direct link to the Excel Spreadsheet.  A great resource! http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

lucky_lady76
on 5/15/08 12:58 am - Texarkana, TX
I don't want to sound stupid or anything but are we supposed to be eating foods with high or low glycemis index numbers?
GOD BLESS   Cynthia
sarard
on 5/15/08 3:50 am - Costa Mesa, CA
LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX FOODS ARE BETTER FOR YOU
Registered Dietitian
Sabrina2514
on 5/20/08 11:35 am
On kind of the same topic......what is the relation to the amount of sugar in dairy?  I am only one week out from RNY and know that I should keep sugars under 8 - 10g per serving but milk has like 12g per 8 oz and that seems to be okay.  Is sugar in dairy different?  Thanks.
Most Active