NUT's What Happens if all Protein is not consumed??

baileysmom2004
on 5/14/08 2:00 am
I am one week post op and am really struggling with the protein.  i have no problem getting in the water but just dread trying to get in my protein.   If i don't consume any, or very little protein for the first few weeks will i do irreparable damage to my body?  i am hoping that after a couple weeks post op i may not be so nauseated trying to get in my protein and will more readily be able to get it in. I know I need to take in protein - but also realize how much stress just the thought of trying to get it all in is causing me and if i knew that I wouldn't cause irreparable harm I would worry less about getting it all in. Please help.
sarard
on 5/14/08 2:58 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You always want to do your best on your protein intake. In the first few weeks post-surgery, it's very difficult to get in an adequate amount of protein. Right after surgery, your protein needs are the highest (for healing), your pouch is tender, and you diet is restricted. So, it's very difficult to get in enough. That's why to see so much conversation on protein shakes/protein bullets. Whatever you can do to get as much protein in as possible ... With that being said, you have 'stores' of protein - your muscles. In the absence of dietary protein, your body will use its 'stores' for your body's needs - you will breakdown your muscles. Is this bad? Technically, yes. Is it the worst? No. This is what your body is designed to do. You may also lose your hair, your nails may become brittle, and your skin may change. The good news: when you begin consuming enough protein again, your body should return to normal. By not eating enough protein for a few weeks you will not cause permanent harm. However, this is not a free pass to slack off. You do need to try to get in as much protein as you can --- get the protein shakes on board. Although they don't all taste great, it's one of the best ways to get your protein needs in .... GOOD LUCK!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
baileysmom2004
on 5/14/08 4:43 am
Thank you SO MUCH for responding and giving me the information. I am definitley not going to slack off getting in the protein right now - just needed to know that I wouldn't harm myself if I couldn't meet my Nut's goals.  I have been really stressing over this and i know that the stress also isn't good for me so decided that I would do the absolute best I can for now and that will have to be good enough. Again, you have relieved some of my stress and I greatly appreciate that.  I will take it one day at a time.   So far today i have had 55 grams of protein - probably won't have anymore today but will try to eat something tonight which i haven't done since i left the hospital - have just been drinking fluids all day long. Thank you.  Thank you!     You are my angel!
sarard
on 5/14/08 7:55 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Relax - 55 grams is good for being 1 week post op. It will get easier. :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active