PROTEIN INTAKE?

Sandra S.
on 5/13/08 1:23 pm - Mountain Home, ID

How much protein is everybody taking in on a daily basis?  Getting in my protein is the hardest thing for me to do! sandy

coolsas212

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 10:48 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I get 120-150 grams per day, all from food.  I eat small meals/snacks every 1 1/2 to 3 hours throughout the day, and other than my pre-workout snacks, I always include something with a decent amount of protein.  Cheese sticks w/ apples, cottage cheese, open-faced turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread, Fage yogurt w/ Splenda and sliced berries, etc.  Meals always include 5-6 oz. lean protein (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, salmon, tilapia, etc.), a veggie and sometimes a salad.  Luckily, my pouch is not sensitive, so I do well with dense proteins, which helps keep my numbers up.   What are you doing to get in your protein?  Do you follow the pouch rules of protein first, veggies second, carbs last?  Are you doing any protein supplementation (shakes or bars)?   When I'm struggling with an aspect of my life as a post-op, I try to look for little changes I can make and sustain that will help address the problem.  Perhaps you can find a way to add a couple protein-based snacks to your daily food plan to bring your protein intake up, without significantly increasing your calories.   Good luck on your continuing journey - Kellie
Amy_in_MA
on 5/14/08 9:44 pm - Danvers, MA
I average about 90 g per day. My "range" Is 80 to 110 g of protein daily.

wendy_fou
on 5/15/08 12:03 am - AR
I get in anywhere from 70 on a slow day to 100+ on a good day. 
marckwhite
on 5/15/08 9:48 am
For you to make an accurate decision we would need to know your bodyweight.  I would say .75gm to 1 gm per pound of bodyweight to keep lean bodymass at its peak.  Anything less and you will begin to lose lean body mass replace it with fat.  Although your weight may stay the same, you lean body mass index will be different.
sarard
on 5/15/08 11:11 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You probably meant to type .75-1 g per KILOGRAM of body weight. .75-1 gram per pound would be excessive.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Sandra S.
on 5/15/08 2:52 pm - Mountain Home, ID
ok, I weigh 180.  I'm trying for at least 90-110 daily but it's a struggle because I was starting to gain weight so I have modified  a LOT of my food.  I don't eat any white or refined foods or starches any more; only whole grains.  I have also tried to eat at least 2 pcs of fresh fruit daily for my "sweet tooth".   My protein sources consist of cottage cheese, cheese sticks, Kashi cereals, bars and granola in my yogurt.  Also low sugar Detour protein bars are always within reach.  I've also gone back to my protein shakes; at least one a day.   I'm 2 years out and haven't lost any weight in the last 8-9 months and actually gained 8 lbs  in April!  I have lost it again and think I've kicked started my metabolism into gear by revving up my exercise program also.   Thanks for the help! Sandy

coolsas212

Most Active