Weight gain... please assist...

KATIE01
on 5/13/08 6:24 am - Shafer, MN
I got down to 242 from 363.  I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and I weigh 297.  I started eating 1200 calories a day and started walking again.  I wear a pedometer and on average, I'm walking about 10,000+ steps a day, which is over 5 miles when the day is over.  My question was...  does anyone know what the max calories should be when you are 4+ years out?  Maybe I'm not eating enough or too much!  I'm sure my surgeon could help me, but since then my insurance has changed and now it would be out of pocket, which I can't afford.  I'm hoping that some of my fellow bypass friends can help me... or this fabulous nutritionalist on board now!!!!!!
sarard
on 5/14/08 3:36 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You will need a full nutritional assessment to adequately answer this question for you. Assessing calories, protein, carbs & fat is not a quick & easy calculation, especially when you've re-gained wieght. There are a lot of factors that go into this calculation: weight, height, exercise, social habits, previous weight loss habits, type of surgery, age .... etc. I'm sorry it's not a quick & easy answer for you. Consider making a personal appointment with a registered dietitian. I would recommend you make an appointment with your primary care doctor & see if he or she can refer you to a dietitian within your insurance plan. Or, you can always find a dietitian on your own at: www.eatright.org, enutritioncare.com, or click: find a: other professional on the OH website. Some dietitians take insurance, some do not. I hope other post-op people on this site give you an idea of how many calories they are eating, which can give you a guideline --- if you can't get a referral to a RD or afford to pay out of pocket. Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
marckwhite
on 5/15/08 9:44 am
I think you may eating to little and your body is holding on too everything.  With that much walking its not adding up that you are gaining weight.  Reaccess your diet plan, look over it, make sure youre not eating too many simple carbs or starch carbs.  Keep the protein at 70% Carbs 20% and Essential Fats at 10% for each meal.  This should get you back on track.
sarard
on 5/15/08 11:15 am - Costa Mesa, CA
"Keep the protein at 70% Carbs 20% and Essential Fats at 10% for each meal." Where are these recommendations from?
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active