I start my pre-op diet (3 weeks) today!! Any advise!! Please

Bard4fun
on 5/12/08 10:07 pm
Three weeks from right now, I will be on a operating table getting my sleeve!!( Yes, I know it might be different surgery than your's, but the basics are very similar). I am starting my pre-op diet today. I have already been on a self imposed pre-pre-op diet, which has lost me 14lbs. I have upped my walks to a more vigorious pace, started on the machines at the "Y: again and continued doing water aerobics, and I must say I feel great!!! Looking forward is so fantastic I can't wait. Now ,Please any suggestion, what did you do to help you through the days of your pre-op diet, what helped you, what made you mess up, and what should I avoid. Any tips ideas, words of wisdom and encouragement or comments are welcome. What products worked for you
Dave Chambers
on 5/12/08 10:34 pm - Mira Loma, CA
My RNY surgeon said that if I gained one pound between the initial consult and surgery date, that he would not do the surgery. So I made a concerted effort to do my best. In 3 weeks I lost 17 pounds. Was unable to do much in the exercise department, but I did try to eat as healthy as possible, limit portion size, give up sodas, eat fruit for snacks, stop eating past 7 PM.  These are a lot of things I needed to do past my surgery date, so I thought it would be good practice to start this regimine prior to surgery.  Worked OK for me. Sounds like you've got a good start on the exercise part already. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pam T.
on 5/13/08 2:31 am - Saginaw, MI
Congrats on your journey.  You'll be done with surgery before you know it!  Time really flies these last few weeks! Just a warning that the first 3-4 days of a liquid diet is the hardest.  But by the end of that 4th day, I turned a corner and realized that I really could do this thing and it wasn't so bad afterall.   It's great that you're keeping with your exercise program.  This will really help you with your recovery from surgery.  Keep up the good work! I would suggest reading as much as you can between now and surgery.  Read as many OH Profiles as you can and read as much medical research and information about what to expect after your surgery.  Really soak up the information right now.  Knowledge is power!  The more you know about what to expect or what others have gone through, the more at ease you'll feel when you realize you're going through things that are completely normal. Good luck! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

KimMM
on 5/13/08 3:14 am - APO, NY

My advise is stick to it 100%--I did--even though I was tempted not to--and it was truly for myself. I felt that if I couldn't stick to what the dr told me 100%---then I didn't have any business having the surgery. I was (and am) really proud of myself for doing it, too.

Otherwise, I would say start trying to follow the same type of diet you will need to for life. It will be good practice--and you'll start creating those habits. Best of luck to you! Kim

josully
on 5/14/08 3:12 pm, edited 5/14/08 3:16 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
I also did a 3 week pre-op liquid diet. The difficult part was finding a protein drink I could tolerate. I did find one a few months later that I like and it makes everything easier. I also use a 'sippy cup'  to block the smell of the protein which makes it more tolerable for me. Any cup with a lid will do. I hope you have found one you enjoy!  I also had a headache for several days which I now know was sugar withdrawals. I can say now  that it was well worth the suffering. I think getting off the sugar has changed my life. I don't want it or crave it as I used to. I look forward to & can taste vegetables which I never ate pre-surgery. I enjoy healthy food and do not miss the junkfood & fast food.  The 3 weeks really set the tone for me and it was worth the initial difficulty. YOu can do anything for 3 weeks and then the surgical benefits will kick in and help you from there! I also veiwed the experience as a sort of re-birth/re-training. My 3 week liquid  pre & lpost-surgery periods were akin to infancy. Next the pureed food stage, then soft/chunky 'toddler' stage and now I can eat anything I choose. But...I've been re-introduced to food in a healthy step by step way. Real change has occurred in how I handle feeding myself and I am grateful for this oppertunity. So... you are taking your first steps in a healthier relationship with food. Every stage builds upon the next, so follow your Doc's guidlines to the letter and in a very short time you will be amazed at the changes.  Take good care, Jo

Most Active