What vegatables do you eat, can't you eat!! Help out a newbie.

Bard4fun
on 5/10/08 10:31 pm
I am pre-op so I am trying to get a handle on what vegatables you do eat, and how much, ( once your through with your month or so after post-op diet) ( Also what helped during that time as well ). What vegtables do you not eat. 1st, beause thay are to hard to digist or to gasious, or for whatever they have a negitive effect, and 2nd because they are bad for the diet because of starches, carbs etc. Also anyway that you have found to prepare the one you do eat that works well, Please. I love my veggies and I am wondering about how to get enough fiber, and the right amount of nutrition, with eatting so little. I can see where a good deal of planning your weekly menu is vital to get a good balance. I really appreciate your help, as I want this to work. Also, if there are any good cook books you have found and recomend, and or recipies please let me know.
Pam T.
on 5/11/08 1:15 am - Saginaw, MI
You're having a different type of surgery than I did, so the guidelines might be different.  But here's what I was allowed and what worked for me.  I'm now 6 months out. At the 6-week mark I was told to add about 1-2 tablespoons of well cooked veggies to my meals.  Eat the protein first, but if I had room for more food then I could eat the veggies.  They needed to be soft and cooked well -- I did steamed broccoli or cauliflower, cooked carrots, frozen/steamed peas, etc.  At 3-months I was cleared for raw veggies.  By this time I was seriously craving salad and so happy finally eat one.  But it was slow going at the beginning because my pouch didn't love salad as much as my mouth did.  I still don't do well with raw veggies like on a vegetable tray with dip, but salad is my friend now.  I normally have a small side salad every day for lunch with whatever protein I'm eating. I can eat pretty much any type of veggies I want at this point (except the crudite).  I tend to avoid high-starch vegetables like corn and potatoes, obviously. I have a goal of taking in 25-30g of fiber per day.  If I get my fruit and veggies in for the day and 1 serving of whole grains then I can hit that goal most days. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active