low testosterone

Ruby R.
on 5/9/08 2:43 pm
I am three years out and continue to lose hair.  A little comes back, but the returning hair does not keep pace with the losing hair.  I have always had lots of hair, but it is pretty thin now.  I get 100 grams of protein.  I take biotin, zinc and lysine.  Nothing helps.  My labs are good. Last weekend while at a wls conference in Charlotte. I asked the surgeon about my losing hair.  After discussing my efforts with him, he had no answer.  His nurse brought up the subject of low testosterone.  I am 63 and have been through menophase.  i have never had a lot of body hair, but now I have very little.  I used to have a mustache which I had to wax, but it is about gone now. I am thinking about calling my GYN and making an appointment to discuss and maybe tesing for the low testosterone.  Anybody else know anything about hair loss due to low testosterone? Patricia 3/11/05  RNY 262/125/138 hi/lo/today               
sarard
on 5/11/08 3:24 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
It's valid, but totally unrelated to your surgery (which is probably why the surgeon you talked to couldn't answer your question). Your GYN is probably the best person to discuss this with as it is hormonal. Although hair loss with age is less common in women than men (we often seen male baldness), it can happen in women. I worked with a woman who used Women's Rogaine for her hair & she thought it was the best thing around. But, before you go & use these chemicals, talk with your doctor. It's my understanding that Rogaine is a topical hormone, but I'm not an expert in hormones, so talk to your GYN. I think the nurse you talked to has a valid point, especially since you have great protein intake, your 3 years out, and 63 .... sounds to me like your hair loss is not related to your surgery ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Ruby R.
on 5/11/08 7:43 pm
Thanks for the reply.  I agree it is probably not related to the surgery.  I had been blaming in on malasorbation, icw surgery, etc.  I am glad the RN brought up the hormone questrion.  I sure do not want to take anything that causes a lot of facial hair, but I am going to see what GYN has to say.
Most Active