1st dinner out! Can I eat Shrimp 7 weeks post op??

Jill F.
on 5/8/08 2:34 pm - IL
I am 7 weeks post op from a gastric bypass and I have been told that I should not eat shrimp because shell fish is not good for my pouch. I am going out with friends for the 1st time since my surgery and the only thing on the menu that looks pretty good is the shrimp ****tail. I was told by another RNY patient that shrimp is totally fine at this point. I am pretty confused about the shrimp issue now, so I figured I'd ask some of you.  If anyone has any suggestions for me on this topic that would be awesome!!  Thank you very much!   Surgery date March 21, 2008 
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 12:48 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

I eat shrimp ****tail regularly, but can't recall when I tried it for the first time as a post-op.  I don't recall ever reading anything about shellfish being bad for our pouches, either.  If it's within your surgeon's guidelines, I say go for it.   One word of advice/caution:  For the first 6 months or so after my surgery, I always tried new foods at home for the first time in case my pouch rejected them.  Me, I'd try a couple shrimp at home first to see how they sit, before I tried them in a restaurant.  If they don't sit well with you, a broth-based soup was usually a good choice for me at a restaurant early out.   Enjoy the time with your friends!!! Kellie

Stephanie B.
on 5/9/08 1:11 am
Shrimp is on my stage 3 list (day 2 after surgery) I am pre-op having surgery on 7/17.
StephanieB
RebekaA
on 5/9/08 3:11 am - Inland Empire, CA
Shrimp was something that gave me problems early on. It was too tough, no matter how much I chewed it. I didn't have problems with a lot of foods, but shrimp (and chicken) were at the top of the list. It was a good 6 months before they would go down right. It's great that you are checking the menu beforehand, very smart! Early on I learned that when dining out, soups were my best bet. I would just tell people I was counting calories, or had eaten earlier etc. GL
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.....(it's ALL small stuff!)
Rebeka
284/261/138!/150
5"5' Size 4/6
cbhjr98
on 5/9/08 11:02 pm
Try it at home first!  Shrimp gave me foamies up until 3 months post op.  I was cleared to eat them at 1 month, but was over a trash can balled up in pain if I did! Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Jill F.
on 5/11/08 2:20 am - IL
Thank you ALL for posting these wonderful responses! I think I am going to either wait and eat shrimp down the road or try it at home. Thank you for taking the time and responding to my question!!  Congrats on everyone's weight loss!! Way to go!!!  Thanks again! Jill  
Most Active