Alternative approach

aewhite1972
on 5/8/08 6:37 am
I was shot down by the insurance company today because I have not had a six month Dr. observed diet.  My obvious next step is to spend the next six months doing this.  My question is this:  What do you think about/have you tried to do the post-op diet while still pre-op? I figure that without the malabsorption and trauma of surgery it will be slower progress, but I will be capable of more exercise. (BMI 45, age 35 - otherwise good health)
Pam T.
on 5/9/08 12:18 am - Saginaw, MI
I had to do 12 months before my surgery was approved.  I used that time to really work on my relationship with food and try to deal with some of the mental stuff.  I also read a LOT.  And researched a LOT.  (You'll notice that I'm a research fanatic if you check out my profile and blog.)  Use these next 6 months to really get your head right and soak up as much information as you possibly can - you'll have greater success post-op. The nutritionist I saw each month put me on a conservative diet plan that was 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats -- on about 1200-1400 calories per day.  I tracked my food in www.fitday.com. I also had to report my regular exercise throughout the year for the insurance record. (BTW- I didn't lose a single ounce on the diet, but that's because of medical issues I was dealing with ... which proved to me that I couldn't do it on my own and definitely needed WLS.) That 40-40-20% balance is pretty close to what I average now after surgery, but at 6 months out I'm still doing around 800 calories per day.  I wouldn't suggest going that low with your calories though.  If you haven't already started that 6 months diet... get on the phone and go see your PCP today to get started.  The sooner you get started, the sooner you'll be done.  The time will fly by! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active