Unable to tolerate food

mumorito
on 5/7/08 5:24 am - Ramstein, apo, Germany
I'm now nine days post-op and I just cant seem to tolerate anything. Everything smells and tastes nasty and I'd rather just stick to just plain water and nothing else. Does this go away and I can start tolerating things better? I'm only trying sf jello and soup and cant even tolerate that. Any ideas anyone?
onecyn
on 5/7/08 7:38 am - El Dorado, CA
Germany, way cool... For the first time in my life, I didn't want to eat anything.  It was a chore just to take one swallow of cottage cheese, apple sauce or yogurt.  Eventually, my appetite returned and with a vengeance.  I am now 10 months out and can eat ANYTHING!!!  A good thing and a very bad thing!!!  So be patient, your appetite will return. Good luck.

~ Cindy

wendy_fou
on 5/7/08 12:33 pm - AR
Sounds normal to me. At nine days post-op, I was only 3 days into my soft stage diet and I felt the same way.   I existed on mostly fluids that early out (even after I was allowed to go to the soft stage).   My surgeon always said that if I had trouble tolerating a particular stage, to bump back down a stage for a day or so, then try to go up to the correct stage again.  I followed this advice RELIGIOUSLY.  If I had trouble eating in the soft stage, I went back to all liquids for a day.  Then I'd go back to softs the next day.  At 11 days out, it was hard for me to even get all my fluid in, so it didn't HURT me any for sure.   And it must have been good advice because now I have ZERO food tolerance issues.   I track my diet on an excel spreadsheet I created.  Here is my diet 10 days post-op. 
1 sugar free Popsicle fruit popsicle
1 cup Hiland skim milk
1 ounce water
1 ounce water
1 ounce turkey deli meat
1 sugar free kroger juice pop
5 ounces water
1 sugar free kroger juice pop
protein slam
1 cup Hiland skim milk
Here is my diet today.
1 medium egg, 1/2 turkey sausage patty & 1/2 slice Sara Lee 45 cal wheat toast
2 cups skim milk + 2 tablespoons sugar free chocolate syrup
8 ounces water
pintos & cheese
8.9 ounces water
chicken soft taco - tortilla & cheese (Taco Bell)
16.9 ounces water
1 ounce coca roasted almonds & 2 tbsp PB2 + 4/8 apple slices (large yellow apple?)
20 ounces skim milk + 2 tablespoons sugar free chocolate syrup
What you are going through is NORMAL.  You will be fine.  Just do the best you can with LIQUIDS  (because trust me, dehydration SUCKS big time).  Slowly work into "food", even in your soft stages.  You will be fine.   Good luck
Most Active