Protein Pudding and Bullets

Snicker
on 5/5/08 1:07 am - Charleston, SC
Would it be a good idea to add a Protein Bullet to my shakes or Protein Pudding Mixture to increase my daily intake? Snicker
Andrea U.
on 5/5/08 9:44 am - Wilson, NC
I wouldn't. there is a ton of conroversy about how much protein we can absorb at any one time.  some say 20, some say 30, others say no limit, etc. given the *possibility* of a limit, I wouldn't load up all at once just in case. (sorry about lack of caps... typing one-handed while holding a wee one)
wendy_fou
on 5/5/08 11:27 am - AR
There is no controversy over this issue.  It has been proven a myth.  There is absolutely NO evidence to support that the body only absorbs a set amount of protein before shutting the door on absorbtion of any more.  (The RDs here have discussed this issue and the fact that it is a myth multiple times.)
Andrea U.
on 5/5/08 11:32 am - Wilson, NC
Do you have documentation to back this up? I have two RD's affiliated with bariatric clinics that have told me otherwise, as well as 2 other RD's affiliated with other clinics that have said the same thing.  I'd like to be able to give them the info for their records.
wendy_fou
on 5/5/08 11:42 am - AR

I don't know that I can provide information to provide rumors aren't true.   I would ask you RDs to provide the documentation to prove what they are saying. I have tried finding ANY SHRED of information to back up the protein absorption cap myth and can find NOTHING but various messages boards where people just say that it's fact.  I have yet to find even ONE study or paper by ANY medical professional (or even body building professional who may know) stating that the body shuts down absorption of protein after so many grams.   However, if you want to read multiple RDs saying that this is only a myth, it is in the archives on this very forum. 

sarard
on 5/5/08 2:18 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,5389/cat_id,4989/topic_id,3394039/page,1/#26434839 It was multiple discussions, including one doctor. The post was on 9/7/07 & titled: Protein Question/How many Grams Used??? You'll have a lot to read as it went on for many days. :) I think you'll find your answer in these posts ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Andrea U.
on 5/5/08 10:43 pm - Wilson, NC
Thank you.  I see one of the "30-grammers" tonight and I'll give her this info.
sarard
on 5/6/08 7:05 am - Costa Mesa, CA
If they have documented research that shows that only 30-grams is absorbed, I'd love to see it ....!!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
wendy_fou
on 5/5/08 11:29 am - AR
I'd do the bullet in like-flavored crystal light at a different time of day.  It is best to get your protein as evenly throughout the day as possible. 
kreaturdesnacht
on 5/6/08 11:29 pm - Akron, OH
What is a protein bullet? I've never heard of it.  Where do you buy it?
Most Active