vitamins

Jennifer C.
on 5/5/08 12:29 am - virginia beach, VA
Good morning all.  I have a question about vitamins.  I read in a post somewhere (and now can't find it) about one that was supposed to help avoid hair loss.  I really dont want my hair falling out.....I know vain....could anyone point me to that product??? Thanks!!

Pam T.
on 5/5/08 3:40 am - Saginaw, MI
You hair will most likely fall out.  Not all of it, and not enough to be noticable to other people, but you will most likely shed some hair for a few months.  Better to be prepared and accept this now rather than be shocked and freaking out when it actually happens.   Of course, there are some people who do not lose their hair.  But they are the minority.  The hair loss is a result of the trauma of the surgery and the extreme lifestyle changes you put your body through afterward.  Any traumatic event in your life can actually cause hair loss - not just bariatric surgery -- such as pregnancy, stress, major surgery.  After surgery you'll be cutting your calories down to an extreme level and your body reacts to that by using the food you feed it to do the most important tasks first -- and the lesser important tasks get put off for a bit.  Obviously we don't need hair to survive, but the body needs to heal the wounds of surgery and fuel the muscles of the body (i.e.: heart) with what little food we're giving it.   Your hair is made of protein and one of protein's tasks in the body is to grown new hair (and fingernails).  But protein is also responsible for healing damaged cells (wounds), feeling muscle tissue with energy, creating new red blood cells and keeping your hormones in balance.  So make sure you eat enough protein to let your body accomplish all those tasks. As for the vitamin.  It's Biotin.  A B-Vitamin.  And it won't STOP your hair from falling out,  but it will help the new hair that grows back to be healthy and thick. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

H A.
on 5/7/08 1:29 am - NOR CAL, CA
The main board someone will tell you what they used.

For me I found that if my protein was about 80 g My hair didn't fall out as much. When I went away for a weekend and couldn't seem to get enough in the week following I saw more hair on the counter. All in all I didn't lose too much and now at 10 months I'm not losing any more than a normal person.

Good luck.
Heidi
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/08 11:32 am
I believe it is Biotin. take a look at this site as it will explain it better.  Or just search on the internet. I did my own research and found out about some stuff including this.

http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/itemHandler?id=101 0
Most Active