Nature Made liquid Calcium

Andrea U.
on 5/4/08 11:05 am - Wilson, NC
As alot of you know, Nature Made has come out with liquid-capsules of several vitamins, including multi-vites, b-complex, c, etc. They also have a liquid calcium which is made from calcium carbonate. I realize that RNY'ers do better with calcium citrate, which is in pill form.  Taking in account the liquid nature of the new vitamin, would it absorb better than the solid citrate?  Think it would be about equal?  Why or why not?  I've not had a problem with my calcium, but like to have more info to make sure I keep on top of things. (And hey, if you didn't know about these, you can get a free 14day sample at naturemade.com.. and CVS has them BOGO this week if you can find them in the stores)
Pam T.
on 5/5/08 3:30 am - Saginaw, MI
Based on the research I've done on the difference between calcium carbonate and calcium citrate, I would say that NO, the liquid carbonate it still not okay to use.   It's not the pill form that is more difficult to process in a pouch with no stomach acid, it's the substance itself.  Calcium carbonate does not do much in a non-acid environment except just pass right on through... .  Only 4% of it will be absorbed by the body.  Calcium citrate is absorbed at a rate of 45%.  (I've posted references to this research in my OH Profile, if you're interested.)  calcium carbonate is made from rock/stone and often found in sea shells, egg shells and snails.  Calcium citrate is a byproduct of the production of citric acid - an edible calcium salt. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Andrea U.
on 5/5/08 3:36 am - Wilson, NC
Most Active