Frustrated _ Help

Divalady J
on 5/4/08 9:08 am
Hello, I am almost 2 weeks post op and having an awful time.  Everthing I drink makes me sick to my stomach!!!  I am not getting much in needless to say.  I have managed to at least get my vitamins in on a daily bais.  I don't know what to do.  Also, I am having a burining sensation on top of being nauseated!  My Dr. seems to think everything I am experiencing is normal and that I just have to get over the hump.  Can anyone provide any suggestions or has anyone gone through this same thing.  Right now, I am in that mode or regret that I had this surgery.  I am just totally frustrated.  Wakita

Andrea U.
on 5/4/08 11:01 am - Wilson, NC
Hey neighbor :-) Is it the smell that bugs you, the taste, sensation, what? If it's the smell, getting a travel mug that keeps you from smelling the contents will help.  Our noses get pretty sensitive after surgery and that can really mess with our heads.
Divalady J
on 5/4/08 11:47 am
Hey there, I don't think it is the smell, once I consume the product, it is in my pouch I become so nauseated that I don't want anything else. This has been going on for about 5 days now, which is not good because I am getting nothing in my system, and it burns once I have consumed it.   I have began Full Liquids, but is not seeming to help at all. Water, Crystal light, all of it just makes me ill, so I am not sure what to do.  Isopure I liked before the surgery and now it makes me ill as well.  I just ordered some Unjury samples and maybe they will not do the same.  I am at a lost.  Can you tell me a few of the things you ate at the Full Liquid stage?

Andrea U.
on 5/4/08 12:46 pm - Wilson, NC
I'll be honest.. it's been a long time.  But I think I remember living on canned soups.. the broths, french onion, veggie beef (without all the stuff in it), etc.  I didn't have any protein drinks at all because I instantly became lactose-intolerant and dumped on everyone I tried.  Plus, I got sick from soy protein and dumped on them, as well. SF/FF puddings should be ok, as well as SF jello.  The two basically turn to liquid once hitting the tummy (in fact, you can make the jello with an extra cup of water and it will stay liquid).  I think if you make the pudding with soy milk, it won't set, either. As long as your surgeon isn't too concerned, then try not to worry about it.  At this point, it's all trial and error to figure out how your body is going to react.
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/08 5:55 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
You may want to talk to your surgeon about getting a prescription for an anti-nausea medication.  One of my co-workers had pretty severe nausea after her surgery, and she finally got some relief with anti-nausea medication.  If you are having nausea every time you eat or drink something, I'd ask about this.  Only you know what's going on when you try to eat/drink and what it feels like.  Your surgeon is right that it can be pretty uncomfortable to eat or drink for a few weeks after surgery.  But if it's so bad that you're not able to get in any nutrition, it needs to be addressed.  In terms of liquid food choices, can you tolerate milk?  It's not the greatest source of protein, but it is something.  (Unless you're lactose intolerant, then it's not for you!!!)  Also, sugar-free popsicles are a good way to get in some hydration in a flavorful way.   Good luck on your continuing journey - it does get better pretty quickly, so just stay the course and try to stay positive... Kellie
Divalady J
on 5/5/08 6:35 am
Thanks Kellie, I have addressed this with the Dr/, but I don't think she is getting it, the fact that everything is making me ill...I don't think that is normal, but then again I am not the Dr.  Hopefully, it will pass real soon, and all will be well.  I am trying to stay the course, but it is hard.  I actually tried a protein shake from Unjury today and thought it was going to be okay, but after about 5 minutes the same thing happened. The burning was not as bad, possibly due to the Lactaid, but the nausea was horrible.  Thanks for you response.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/08 7:20 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
If this does not pass, you may need to push your doctor on it until you get some resolution.  It may be that the pain/discomfort you are experiencing is normal and will pass as you heal.  But if not, it's important that you are able to get in sufficient nutrition to maintain your health.  It can be hard to push a doctor, because we're so accustomed to thinking they are always right, but you are in the best position to know whether what's going on with your body feels "normal."   Good luck in getting this resolved quickly, so you can move on to enjoying your new pouch and watching those pound melt away -  Kellie
Divalady J
on 5/6/08 8:10 am
Kellie,  Yes, we often think that Dr. knows best, but that is not always true, as we know our bodies so much better.  I called again today and left a message with the nurse and I'm praying that she will call me back.  I mentioned that I am not receiving any nutrition as everything makes me ill, so hopefully I will get a response.  I would love for this to pass over as soon as possible so that I can get on with this journey that I am hoping will get much better

Most Active