HELP PLEASE!!

LiSa K.
on 5/1/08 1:19 pm - TX
I'm a year out as of 04/25/08 PROUD to say I'm down 130lb!! OK what I need help is,I have 30lb to go and can't seam to get going. How many calories,fat,carbs should we get at this time? I keep seeing on sites that people need 1200 calories a day. That's for people who haven't had WLS. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/08 11:22 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Our daily calories needs are as varied as we are!  There's no single formula that works for everyone.  You can get a basic estimate of your daily metabolism using a BMR calculator (you can find one easily doing a search at Google).  But these are only rough estimates - your actual metabolism may be higher or lower by several hundred calories, depending on how much you exercise, muscle mass, etc.  If you want to know your actual BMR, you need to be tested by some place like New Leaf Fitness or some place that does testing with the Body Gem.   Once you know your BMR, you can use it calculate your daily calorie needs if you want to lose 1-2 pounds per week, just like before WLS.  Here's a quick example: - Let's say your BMR = 2000 - BMR x 7 days per week = 14000 calories per week to maintain your current weight - 14000 calories - 3500 calories (to lose one pound/week) - 10500 calories per week, or 1500 calories per day If you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, you'd need to eat 1000 calories per day.  There are, however, some schools of thought that say women should never go below 1200 calories per day.   In terms of balancing fat/carbs/protein, this can vary based on how much you exercise.  I workout quite a bit, so I am for 50% calories from carbs, 25% from protein, and 25% from fat.  For me, this looks like this: 2000 calories per day 1000 calories from carbs = 250 grams (4 calories per gram) 500 calories from protien = 125 grams (4 calories per gram) 500 calories from fat = 55 grams (9 calories per gram) If you do not exercise a lot, you may need fewer carbs, more protein, perhaps a little more fat, but I wouldn't go above 30% of calories from fat.   It is much harder to lose after the honeymoon period is over, but it is doable.  I find that being mindful about my daily food habits helps keep me on track, so I use a daily food journal, I weigh myself daily, and I track my exercise (including how many calories I burn through exercise).  There are several online food journals available at no cost - fitday.com, thedailyplate.com, sparkpeople.com, etc.  Perhaps one of those tools can help you drop that last 30 pounds!  Watch out goal, here she comes I hope some of this information is helpful - Kellie
LiSa K.
on 5/2/08 12:24 am - TX
Thank you for the information! You said some things I never knew.I will print this out to help me! Thank you again!
Most Active