Help--almost 1 week post-op and struggling with food

changinglight
on 5/1/08 2:46 am
My partner had an RNY gastric bypass on 4/23.  She ended up going back into the OR on 4/25, and has been home for a few days.  They sent her home on protein shakes, clear broth, Jell-O, etc.  but she's freaking out--everything tastes terrible, and she's looking for something that's even a little bit like "real" food.  Is there anything that she can eat?  Super-pureed chicken soup? Also, she seems to have a lot of diahrrehea--any suggestions for that? Thanks, Christina
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/08 4:30 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I'd suggest calling her surgeon's office, as they all have somewhat different guidelines about what's allowed in each stage.   Nothing tasted right to me after my surgery, but I developed an infection and was on two super strong antibiotics.  One of the side effects of the antibiotics was that everything tasted metallic, plus they gave me diarrhea.  No fun, but I survived.   Regarding the diarrhea, it's pretty common to have that early out - your gastrointestinal system has just been totally reworked and boy, it's pretty confused about what's going on.  She should work hard to stay hydrated - sip, sip, sip throughout the day - as diarrhea can dehydrate you pretty quickly.   The first few weeks are the toughest, but you guys will make it through.  Take good care of her - she'll appreciate it!   Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/08 9:17 am

Okay, she will not be able to chew anything. I went through the "OH MY GOD I WANT TO CHEW SOMETHING!!!" period. Right now the only savior you will have is strained chineese soups.

If you are onto mushy foods I found that chewing saltines is AWESOME after being on liquids. It gives you the crunchyness that your body craves. They sell a really good whipped asagi and parmesan spread that made the saltines taste especially well.

She is fighting the demons right now.  It was hard to face the issues I have had with food in the first week after surgery.  My partner had to actually leave the house for a while. he eventually came back. ;)

changinglight
on 5/1/08 9:22 am
Thanks so much for this.  This afternoon, we actually found a few sources of food that are tolerable. The first is broth/creamy soups from Pacific Foods (specifically, the red pepper tomato), and Special K Protein Water mix ****d tea.)  It's been a food victory for us! Her nutritionist and I also exchanged a series of emails today, and she suggested some different kinds of soup as well as making our own protein shakes, so that's on the agenda for the weekend.  The nutritionist also approved the soup and special k water, so that's all terrific. Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad to hear that things worked out for you and your partner.  It's nice to know that there are other folks here that are struggling with this. Best, Christina
zoobiesmommy
on 5/1/08 11:11 pm, edited 5/1/08 11:14 pm - Wappingers Falls, NY
One of my favorite finds is a product called Lean Dessert Protein by BSN.  You can find it in Vitamin Shoppe and online.  I buy mine through Netrition.com.  They have these flavors:  Banana Cream Pudding, Banana Nut Bread, Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar, Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Fresh Cinamon Roll, and Whipped Vanilla Cream.  With four ounces of liquid they become a pudding but I mix them with 8 ounces of Lactaid for a shake consistency.  Sometimes I mix half a scoop with 1/2 scoop of my regular vanilla whey protein because the flavors are quite strong.  They are heavenly and they don't have that nasty protein smell that makes you gag when drinking other protein drinks.  I hope she can find something that she can tolerate.   I did get horrible diarrhea as soon as I came home when I started taking liquid Tylenol.  Jus****ch how many sugar alcohols are in what she is eating.  For example I can only eat maximum of two popsicles a day otherwise I get the bad effect.  Each person is different.   Good Luck!  It sounds like you are giving her amazing support. 

Proud wife of a US MARINE

Most Active