anemia, vitamin D deficiency and Meds (crosspost from main board)

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/08 1:06 pm - OK
Okay, so I'm a dumbo and went off of my supplements 2 years ago after I had my daughter. Please save the finger wagging, 'cause no one can flame me as bad as my husband and family...I promise.
Now I'm left with some anemia that won't be resolved. My hemoglobin got up to 11.7 for a few days, then dropped back to 9.9 (It has been as low as 8.2 in the very recent past). I'm puzzled by it dropping so quickly. Because of the anemia, I fall down, spend half of my life dizzy and (you guessed it) have ZERO energy.
The next issue is that I was recently diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. I am in constant pain. CONSTANT. Since the beginning, it has felt like bone pain. I started researching the effects of this particular problem and it specifically states bone pain. My P.A. is trying to treat me for muscle pai n(She has "myalgia" written in my chart) by giving me tramadol. Am I mistaken, or are we not supposed to take tramadol?
This woman is proving herself to be clueless. When I first started seeing her a few months ago, she didn't understand how the anemis could be related to my RNY.
I have decided to switch Dr.s offices, but I'm nervous because who knows what kind of crap I'll have to endure with the next one. I am getting sicker and weaker everyday.  There are evenings (more and more of them, in fact) where I'm too weak to even stand.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues?
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/08 12:58 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
I was also Vitamin D deficient and suffered from anemia. My doctor referred me to a hemotolgist who stated that  I had to have a blood transfusion and 8 iron treatments via IV.  My doctor also put me on Dristol twice a week for my Vitamin D deficiency.  I feel 100% better. 
Musicmama88
on 4/30/08 3:03 am - Danville, IN
I was interested in your post. I think Im anemic. I have been having some dizzy spells pretty often the last month or so, and sooooo tired! Im 2.5 years out and due to an insurance change, havent had labs drawn in forever. Im in the process of finding a new doctor, what blood tests should I ask for? Is there a special one for vitamin D defeciency? Thanks. Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Dave Chambers
on 4/30/08 6:19 am - Mira Loma, CA
The test for D is in the standard blood panel. I failed my D levels 3 times in the first year, even using the prescription 50K IU green caplets of D.  Then i switched to a liquid vitamin and I finally made it up to the low normal, but this was significantly better than previous tests.  I had dizzy spells for all of 2007. I sought the help of my GP, and after numerous visits, I got a cardio referral. One Holter test interpreted by the cardiologist showed a problem. My pulse rate is very slow, 38 and 45 at the doctors office. 4 days after that consult, I had a pacemaker implanted, and no more dizzy spells. So you may want to get your bp monitored too.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

scourts41
on 5/1/08 4:42 am

I too recently was diagnosed with anemia and B12 defiency. I was referred to a hematologist who started me on a 12 week course of iron IV infusions and monthly B12  shots. I am 4 years out and so far have had 4 infusions. I feel lots better. I would try to get referred to a hematologist. She was very familiar with WLS issues and it seems that she and her collegues get a lot of referrals from us. 4yrs post op -195 lbs.

luvintn
on 5/4/08 1:07 pm
I had my surgery in 03 and i lost 160 lbs.  i have always taken my vitamins.  I have severe arthritis i have had one total knee replacement and i am having the other done june 6.  What this all means is i still have to take anti inflamatories.  The past 4 years i have been severely anemic.  my low was 4.3 and i cant seem to get it under control.  Last sat i felt sick and threw up a couple times and it was pure blood.  rushed to the hospital and had to have emergency surgery. I spent the next 3 days in intensive care.  I had developed an ulcer and it moved over a blood vessel and caused a gi bleed due to the anti inflamatories.  I had to have a transfusion this is the third one i have had in the past 2 years. I take prescription iron 3 times a day, I cut them and take them with juice it helps to absorb it.  nothing seems to help.  I have taken the liquid iron and also they gave me  procrit  shots to help build it up .  what are they doing for you?
GO TENNESSEE LADYVOLS
"
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints on your heart."
Lynn J
on 5/7/08 4:58 am - LA
Daph, You need to get copies of all your lab test results and track them.  I take Tender Iron from vitalady.com and I think it is the best for anemia.  I chew 6 Tender Iron with 500mg of Vit C first thing in the morning and nothing else for 2 hours.  You need to ask the doctor to run a ferritin test as this is very important.  Ferritin is your iron stores.  I am trying to get my ferritin to 100. For Vit D I would take dry vitamin D as this is the form that we absorb best.  You can buy this at Vitamin Shoppe or vialady.com.  Also I would ask for a lab test to measure your Vit A.  Mine was very low and I am taking dry Vit A for that. You can take tramadol.  It is supposed to be safe for the pouch.

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
PT LawMom
on 6/11/08 4:53 am - Houston, TX
I've been having the exact same allover pain for a year now.  My Vit. D was low last August; the summer before it was iron (and led to iron infusions); in 2003 (post-baby), it was B-12.  Now EVERYTHING is low.  They put me on anti-seizure meds (Neurontin first, then Topamax) for the pain and I've recently switched from Topamax to Cymbalta because I hated the brain fog of the anti-seizure meds.  Pain pills like Tramadol did not touch the pain. My PCP prescribed gel-based Vit. D.  I went to Vitalady and got the dry A&D.  Had to increase to weekly B12 injections from monthly and am taking Vitron-C (also from Vitalady) daily.  Had iron infusions in summer 2006 for 10 weeks and my iron is back down to a 7.  Doc won't approve infusions this time and I have an HMO so I'm stuck, hence the Vitron-C.  I'm also trying to add in Nectar protein shakes twice a day to help with my blood protein levels. Good luck.  I'm finding more and more people in this SEVERE pain.  My neurologist says it is malnutrition-related peripheral neuropathy and that it is a known problem after RNY.
Open RNY, June 2001
Highest Weight - 267
Lowest - 175
Current - 196
Struggling with peripheral neuropathy and malnutrition
http://ptlawmom.com

Most Active