Help! (Sorry so long)

Stellanet
on 4/27/08 4:51 pm - Silex, MO

I had RNY Jan. 7,2005.  I went from 240 down to my lowest at 119.  At 5'51/2" and a medium frame, I looked anorexic(miss spelled, sorry).  I went back up to 133 and felt very comfortable there.  Now I'm up to 160.8 and am misserable.  I dont dump sweets(one of my major weeknesses) and can drink up to 1 case of Diet Pepsi a day(not normal).   So, tomorrow I'm planning on starting all over from the beginning as if I just had surgery.  My biggest problem with that is I have trouble with knowing the best proteins.  I drink EAS Advantage shakes.  I have froze individual 4 oz. portions of bonless/skinless chicken breast.  We recently got a side of beef with extra lean ground beef but I know that I need other kinds of proteins besides that.  I am lactose intolerant since my surgery and can't drink milk.  I can eat cottage cheese and yogurt although it adds to my already bad gas problem ( any suggest on that would also be appreciated). Another huge problem is that I have never exercised since my surgery.  I recently purchase a jogging stoller from ebay so I can start walking with my grandson but I know that I need to also strength train.  I cannot afford to go to a guy since the nearest one in 20 mls away.  It wouldn't be worth the gas plus my seven month old grandson lives with me.  What can I do to strength train without the guy.   I started gaining most of my weight after I quit drinking alchohol.  Any suggestions on all of this would be appreciated.  Also, the nearest support group is 35 miles away, so that also is out of the question.  Sorry so long. Thanks, Sheila

Janelle S.
on 4/27/08 10:37 pm - Metairie, LA
You can do this. Remember that it is going to take time and you are going to make mistakes. You may want to make changes one or two at a time. It may be overwhelming to change everything at once. You may want to start with decreasing the candy and sodas and start walking. You can work on strength training after you get into the routine of exercising. There are books, videos, etc. The most important thing is not to give up. Good luck! Janelle

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/08 11:20 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I agree with the prior poster, Janelle, about picking one or two things and working on those first.  When you have those things handled and feel comfortable that you can stick with the changes, then tackle one or two more problems.  When we try to change a lot of behaviors at one time, it's overwhelming and very difficult to remember all the new things you're supposed to be doing.  By making one or two changes at a time and sticking with them until they become habits, you've got a better shot at long-term maintenance of those new habits.   I also agree with Janelle about starting out with walking - it's great exercise and you don't need any fancy equipment to do it.  When you're ready to start doing some strength training, I'd suggest checking out the information available at about.com - here's a link to get you started: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.ht m As far as looking for support, I've never attended any support group meetings, but I use OH like my own personal support group.  The folks here are very encouraging and supportive, plus they understand where I'm coming from.  Poke around until you find a forum that works for you and visit it daily!!!   Good luck on your continuing journey - Kellie
Stellanet
on 4/28/08 4:40 am - Silex, MO
Thank you to Janelle and Kelle.  I really needed that encouragement not to give up.  I went back to basics today and also puchased a used nordic track on ebay for $5.01.  I'm not going to give into the food monster that is within me! Shela
melsreturn
on 4/29/08 6:02 am - Madison, TN
Hello!  I just wanted to start by saying that there is good news.  Your pouch still works.  You can still get back to basics and it will work for you, just as it always has.  The first thing to do, of course, is cut out the junk food.  Or, foods that are not gastric friendly.  No more snacking, grazing.  That will help you tremendously.  Up your protein intake.  That will help you feel full longer and you will not want to snack.  I get the afternoon snackies sometimes, but I will drink fluids with protein powder in them, and every time it takes that desire for a snack away.   Decrease your carbs, calories intake and that will help too. Walking is great...  you can go at your own pace.  And, it will help you feel better physically not only because you have extra energy, but will help you channel that frustration.  I think you will find your feeling of frustration, guilt and failure will go away or greatly diminish.  The bad news is, when they rerouted our intestines, they surely did nothing to help our brains! So that means we must have self control, discipline, and I am convinced that you, my friend, have just that!  After all, it takes a lot of guts and courage to come into a forum and ask for help.  You will do great.  You did it once, and you will do it again.  Good luck!  Keep us posted!

Most Active