Double Milk ?

melsreturn
on 4/23/08 6:37 pm - Madison, TN
I am confused on some information that I recently obtained...  a surgeon's office and I also saw this in the nutrition fact section on OH, suggests that new postops do double milk...  milk with dry powdered milk.  Here are the stats on one cup skim milk plus 1/3 c dry powder milk: Calories:  160 Carbs:  24 Sugars:  23 Protein:  16 Wouldn't one protein shake be a much better choice?  Here is the stats on a Nectar cappuccino: Calories:  90 Carbs:  0 Sugars:  0 Protein:  23 It seems that the BIG point to wls patients is to change one's eating for a lifetime to low carb, low sugar...  shouldn't they be encouraged to do this from day one? 

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/08 11:21 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

I've read some articles about the general health benefits of consuming low-fat/no-fat dairy products, so perhaps that's part of what's driving this advice.  Also, doing the "double milk" may be less expensive than some of the protein drinks and in today's economy, the cost may make a difference for some folks.  Plus some people have a hard time finding protein drinks that they like and can drink on a regular basis.  So again, the "double milk" may be a good option for those folks.   Also, not every WLS patient is required to eat a low-carb diet; it depends on their surgeon's recommendations.  Granted, we're encouraged to eat good carbs (fruits, veggies, whole grains, brown rice, legumes, etc.), but some of us were not required to go low carb.  I get about 50% of my daily calories from carbs, 25% from fat, 25% from protein and I'm maintaining a 210 pound loss.   Anyway, just wanted to chime in and offer a reminder that different things work for different people, so for some folks this might be a good option.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie

Most Active