Veganism

Sommer
on 4/22/08 5:57 am - Charlotte, NC
I am a vegan about to get gastric bypass.  I am 242 lbs.  A fat vegan right?  Well, we do exist!  Is there any other vegans that share their experience with me?
Veg_nRN
on 4/22/08 7:21 pm - Glen Burnie, MD
Hello, I'm a vegetarian on my way to becoming vegan, basically vegan at home, but sometimes I do the lacto/ovo stuff when I eat out.  And yes we fat vegheads do exist, and I didn't live off of cheese and eggs before surgery either so no one can blame the "etarian" part, LOL.  I had my RNY surgery 6 months ago and would be glad to share with you any info you would find helpful.  I've been dying for veg sisters on this website!  There are very few of us but we can be found so don't give up!  Email me with any questions, oh and I have a killer vegan chili recipe that's high in protein that I can share with you when you are at that point of your recovery.  Take care and keep in touch. **hugs**
~Bonnie "You will be assimilated, resistance is futile." - the Borg

Starting Weight: 315 lbs

Current Weight: 187 lbs
Goal Weight:  145ish lbs
Sommer
on 4/23/08 3:26 am - Charlotte, NC

Hey, thanks so much  and congrats on the loss!!  That is the biggest concern ws the food aspect.  The doc kept saying, "oh, we can give you "Whey" products."  I keep telling him that is milk plasma and I cannot do it!  I guess living in the south with so many meat eaters, they are not used to people like me!  If you do not mind, I would love to keep in touch with you since you are a wonderful resource as a veggie and you just had the surgery.  Can't wait to get to know ya!!  Thanks again for the info!

-Sommer

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/08 1:36 am

My partner is a complete vegan and he has a cholesterol level of 257, while I am a meat eater and my cholesterol is 170.  Now I am not saying that everyone should start eating meat to get healthy, I am saying that being vegan doesn't necissarily mean that you will have good numbers. Most of his issue is due to heredity.

Since we have been together my meat consuption is way down and I am a huge fan of textured vegetable protein and seitan. I have taken some of my most favorite dishes and converted them to vegetarian or vegan. I was vegetarian for about 3 months but I could not completely become vegan since I love dairy too much.  To me the soy cheeses are aweful. As far as milk I can drink almond milk if I absolutely have too, but I just crave regular milk too much.

Now that I have my eating under controll I am considering taking the step back to vegetarianism with a gradual move into veganism.

As far as protein I came across this website:
 http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler21.htm

I am glad I came across this thread as it brings back an issue I have needed to revisit.

Sommer
on 4/24/08 4:57 am - Charlotte, NC
Thaks for the info!  I am completely healthy as far as blood pressure, cholesterol, etc... I do it for the animal right aspects.  I have been a veggie for over 15 years and a vegan for a bit now.  My biggest concern is after surgery since I am already at risk for B12 def.  I do fine on protien through soy. I know what you mean about the cheeses, lol...it takes hard dedication..very painful dedication!!! lol.  Congrats on trying to go back to becoming a veggie...I am sure the animals thank you!
Most Active