6 months out and wondering if I'm eating too much?

ECUMindy
on 4/22/08 6:05 am - Winterville, NC
Hello ladies and dieticians, I just left a message for my nutritionist so while I'm waiting for her to call me back, i thought I'd check with you.  I am just over 6 months out from WLS and I'm curious to know if I'm eating too much.  I stop when i feel full, but I'm concerned that I may be eating more than i should.  I really don't think I'm going over 1000 calories or so a day, although i'm not tracking them.  I have added in a few snacks, which I know are NO NOs and I'm working to get that under control quickly... Anyway, here is a typical day of what I may eat.  Please tell me if you think it's too much.  Breakfast - usually a Lean Pocket (ham/egg/cheese) or a Jimmy Dean turkey sausage, egg white, cheese muffin with only one half of the bread muffin (all of the sausage and egg, etc) Lunch - depends, but sometimes a small tortilla with ham/turkey etc or like today one half of a sandwich wrap with chicken (I got at lunch this weekend and ate half then and half today) small fruit cup (sweetened with splenda or lite syrup (throw the syrup away) Snack - sometimes (not every day) -- half of low sugar, high protein bar or a piece of cheese Typical Dinner - Mexican food (for instance last night I fixed quesadillas). I used small 98% FF wheat (I think) tortillas. I used the ChiChis pre-made Chicken in the container. I probably put about 1-2 TBSP of chicken in one wrap, some weigh****chers shredded cheese and grilled them in a pan with low carb butter (about 1/4 tsp). I ate 1chicken one and 1 cheese one (no chicken) over about an hour or so time...  was that too much? I have felt the feeling of being too full and it's no fun and I do my best to avoid it, but I don't really have any idea of how much we should be eating at this point and I'm curious to know if any of the nutritionists here know...  I appreciate your thoughts and help!

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

Pam T.
on 4/22/08 6:54 am - Saginaw, MI
Are you tracking your food on a site like www.fitday.com? If so, what's your calorie breakdown for protein, carbs, fat?   If you don't track your food intake, you might want to do it for a week or so, just to get an idea of what you're really taking in.  You might also want to invest in a digital food scale to make sure you're not eating too much/too little.  For instance, you say you used 1-2 TBSP of chicken, but what does that actually equal in ounces or grams?  That's the measurement you'll need to determine if you're getting enough protein.   The only thing that strikes me when reading your menu is that it seems a bit heavy on the carbs.  You're having a starch with every meal (lean pocket, tortilla wrap, tortilla for quesadillas and carbs in protein bar).  You should be getting most of your carbs from fruits and veggies and staying away from bread and such as much as possible and limit to just 1 or 2 servings per day.  Of course, that's just a guess from the list you gave... so you might be fine on your carbs once you start calculating your total calories for the day. I'm about 5.5 months out and this is a typical day for me: 7:30 a.m. -- protein shake 10:00 a.m. -- breakfast of yogurt w/ granola or Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal w/ protien powder 1:00 p.m. -- lunch of soup & salad or some type of leftover casserole or meal & salad 4:30 p.m. -- planned snack of cheesestick, protein bar or dry roasted edamame 7:30 p.m. -- dinner is similar to lunch I'm averaging about 800-1000 calories per day with around 90g protein and about 50-75g carbs. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

corrineinwa
on 4/22/08 10:27 am
I'm with Pam - fitday.com. I'm probably a little obsessed with it but I know from old that I can't be trusted to estimate anything when it comes to food.  So now I weigh and measure without fail. I average 900-100 calories a day.  My protein is around 100g, 50g of which comes from 2 protein drinks but I feel better for taking in a little extra.  I maybe have a small slice of wholegrain bread toasted or 1oz of high fiber cereal a day but that's it.  The rest of my carbs (100-110 total) come from vegetables and a little fruit.  

24 September 2007
Dr. Sebesta - Madigan Medical Army Center (MAMC).
259.5/224.7/111
highest/day of surgery/current
 BMI 18.5 (5'5")

wendy_fou
on 4/22/08 12:39 pm - AR
Please stop eating until you are "full".   The most common misconception by post-ops is that after WLS you should eat until you are "full".  The problem with this thinking is that it takes more and more to give you that "full" feeling over time.  This leads to inadequate weight loss and long term weight regain.   Please start measuring your meals (by volume, not weight).  At 6 months out, the proper volume intake per meal/snack is no more than 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons or 24 teaspoons).   Also, it is a mistake to take "an hour or so" to eat.  Most surgeons agree that we should take no longer than 30 minutes to eat our meals/snacks.  If you have not eaten everything you planned to eat at the end of 30 minutes, stop anyway - you are done at 30 minutes.   Also, if you are not tracking your calories, protein, fat, carbs and fluid intake - begin now. 
Most Active