Soon to have VSG & want to eat correctly

tracemb14
on 4/21/08 5:17 am - Katy, TX
I have never really been a "big meal" eater.  My eating habits are primarily "on the go" as I am a high school coach.  At least 2 sometimes all 3 of my meals are in my car or on the bus to a game. Fast food! Sometimes late at night affer a long game.  A Big Mac is SO not good anytime...but especially not at 10pm. Now that I am having VSG on May 5 I want to make sure I do not continue with those bad habits and eating poor nutrition meals at the wrong times of the day. How does one go from deveping these poor habits to changing them to better ones?  It is so easy to fall prey to drive throughs and high fat snacks than it is to prepare a meal and buy fruits and vegetables. I want to be a super success with my surgery but also need suggestions, support and ANY ideas on how to change my poor eating habits. Thanks Tracy

K B (Tucson)
on 4/21/08 1:56 pm - Tucson, AZ
With any wls, you have to follow new eating rules.  Your doc should be discussing the rules with you right now.  If he/she hasn't, initiate the conversation yourself as you do not want to be unprepared for life (eating) after the surgery.  The most important thing I can tell you is that YOU must be prepared for every meal.  You no longer can eat on the fly and stop at any fast food stall you pass.  You most likely will be "brown bagging" your meals form now on.  Not sexy, but realistic.  Bringing your own foods insures that you will have the right foods to eat and in the right quantity.  Don't forget your lunch box ever as there are relatively few "good" wls foods for us to buy of the fly.  Sure If eat at restuaruants and often, but the portion size is too big and I always have lots of leftovers.  I can hardly drag by leftover container around with me all day, so it is better when I have my own foods.  The other big thing you have to get used to is NO snacking.  I am battling that right now.  I lost over 120 lb but (confession time) have put back 15 lb over the last 4-5 months by not being careful with my eating and snacking.  Surgery will not change your cravings, so you will have to learn to practice good food choices.  Having a tiny stomach helps you learn to make better food choices.  Good luck.
Most Active