HAIR LOSS

LSMITH
on 4/19/08 5:43 am - NORWALK, CT
HI HAVE ANYONE OR IS THERE ANYONE LOOSING THEIR HAIR? WELL FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS MY HAIR HAS BEEN FALLING OUT LIKE CRAZY ESPECIALLY IN THE CENTER OF MY HAIR IT HAS COME COMPLETELY OUT I'M BALD IN THE MIDDLE AND THIS IS SCARING ME , I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I THINK THAT I WILL WEAR A WIG FOR A WHILE AND GIVE MY HAIR A REST AND DO THIS TREATMENT THAT I TRIED A WHILE AGO WITH CASTOR OIL AND SULFUR 8 GREASE IT HELP TO CLEANSE OUT MY SYSTEM AS WELL HELP MY HAIR TO REGROW DO ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS? COULD IT BE THAT I'M NOT GETTING ANY PROTEIN IN? I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT CAN BE CAUSING THIS TO HAPPEN
Joy F.
on 4/19/08 6:43 am - Los Angeles, CA
This is a common problem after having wls.  I have not lost mine yet, but have been told it can start anywhere from 3 to 6 months out.  Biotin is supposed to help and also make sure you are getting plenty of protein, that will help too.  Do be reassurred that it is normal.  I have two daughters that had the surgery, both with thick hair and they both lost a considerable amount of hair. Best of luck, Joyce

LSMITH
on 4/20/08 1:42 am - NORWALK, CT
hi joyce and thanks for the response i know that once before i went to the nutr once told me to make sure that i get in enough protein and water and not braid my hair to tight, but how much protein are we suppose to be getting and what types of meats and vegs give us the most protein that is need on a daily basis?
Pam T.
on 4/20/08 2:01 am - Saginaw, MI
You should be taking in a minimum of 60g per day of protein.  when I started losing my hair I upped my protein to 90g per day and things slowed down a bit.  I drink 1 protein shake per day (30g protein) and get the rest from dense protein sources such as seafood, beef, chicken, pork and soybeans. I keep track of my protein (and calorie) intake on www.fitday.com. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

LSMITH
on 4/20/08 4:11 am - NORWALK, CT
hi pam, and thanks for the info i will do and i will let you know the results in a couple of weeks--wish me luck
Ruby R.
on 4/19/08 8:34 am
I am three years out and my hair continues to fall out.  I grow some back, but it is still thin.  I get lots of protein, take biotin, and hair, skin, and nail vits from Walmart.   I wear my hair pulled up on top of my head.  It seems to help me look more natural.  I also wear hats a lot. Good luck Patricia 3/11/2005  RNY 262/125/137 hi/lo/today
LSMITH
on 4/20/08 1:40 am - NORWALK, CT
hi patricia, thanks for the reply by the way where do you buy biotin from? are the vits gel vits or the hard coated ones? i restarted taking my womens multi vits again so i'm really going to stay on top of this i'm going to retry this remedy i tried awile ago of mixing castor oil with sulfur 8 hair grease with some carrot oil and grease my hair every other day and keep it braided for a while and where a short hair froc for awhile i think that my hair needs a rest from me messing with it as well as me being stressed out about other situations that i'm going through at this moment i believe that it's time for me to really focus on my own happiness and put others behind no matter what they think about me, i never knew that we as rny patients were going to go through so many changes in life.
Ruby R.
on 4/20/08 10:55 am
I buy my Biotin from from Walmart.  It is Rexall  super potency 5000 mcg.  It is a capsule.  I just swallow it.  I never thought about opening the capsule, but maybe I should.  I read that Biotin will make your hair healthy, but you need protein to make it grow. I have been drinking a lot of protein drinks, but I am now trying to eat more solid protein like chicken.  I really think the problem is the lack of protein, but I have been drink ing lots.  So now I am trying to eat it. Good luck Patricia      
LSMITH
on 4/21/08 9:08 am - NORWALK, CT
HI PATRICIA, THANKS FOR THE POST I JUST BROUGHT SOME BIOTIN THODAY  1000MG HIGH POTENCY I THOUGHT THAT THE 5000MG WOULD BE TOO STRONG AND IT ONLY CALLS FOR 1 TAB A DAY , I SCHEDULED AN APT WITH A PCF  FOR NEXT WEEK TO CHECK THINGS OUT, I PRAY THAT EVERYTHING ISN'T OFF TRACK AS MUCH BUT I'M ON TOP OF IT I ALSO BROUGHT A BOX OF SLIM FAST HIGH PROTEIN BARS THERE OK BUT A LITTLE NASTY TASTING AFTER A COUPLE OF BITES.
Ruby R.
on 4/21/08 9:27 am
Hope things get better with the hair.  Be  sure to check the S Fast bars for carbs and sugar.  I like Detour Lower Sugar bars.  I think they are peanut and carmel.  I like them okay, but as you said they tast a little nasty, too.  Let's face it these bars are not Snickers. I continue to try to get more solid protein.  Today I make tuna salad with egg and low fat mayo.  I would love to eat crackers with it but am not bring a box of crackers in the house.  When I start, i do not know when to quit eating crackers.  I am trying to lose a little regain, so no crackers in this house---well not till DH has to have a box.  Ha-ha     
Most Active