Vit D (also posted on graduate board)

Ruby R.
on 4/19/08 3:35 am

Someone on an OH forum told me to take Calcitriol .5mg to help assorb the Vit D.  It is a prescription med.  I got my primary to prescripe it.  Then I took 50,000 units of Vit D, Fosamax D and Upcal D.  WELL I got my Vit D too high and have been taken off the Calcitriol.  Also my GYN has taken me off the Fosamax D.  My bone scan had improved.  I have quit the 50,000 Vit D. My Vit D is 54, It was 300 when I taken off of it.  54 is in normal range.  My GYN said anything over 50 was good.  I think the Calcitriol helped me assorb the Vit D. 

Hopefully a RD will give us an opition on on Calcitriol and what range should be.

Patricia    
L M
on 4/20/08 3:10 pm - MS
I am a Pharmacist, and actually calcitriol is a synthetic form of vit D which helps you absorb calcium. It's a good thing you stopped it when you did, because taking it with the vit D 50,000 units could have caused your blood calcium levels to become dangerously high. I am surprised your PCP prescribed this. Did he chaeck your calcium level first? It is normally given for dialysis patients with low calcium levels. I'm glad you are back on track.
Most Active