carbs! puzzeled

mac409
on 4/18/08 8:04 am

What is the suggested carb intake for each day.  I have been keeping to around 60, is that too much.   My liquid vitamins have 14 total carbs between the multi and b complex.  My protien shake has 6, and I use a almond beverage intead of mile which has 2. I also use Organic bio sprouts to get my omega 3's which has 8 g and 2 sugars , and my calcium is another 2g.   That is a total of 32 just in my shake and vitamins alone.  Should I be looking for Vitamins with less carbs? I take the buried treasure VM 100 and the buried treasure b complex.

Pam T.
on 4/19/08 4:15 am, edited 4/19/08 4:15 am - Saginaw, MI
My nutritionist told me not to worry about carbs - to get most from fruits and veggies and if a starch then to make it a whole grain.  So I made my own guideline.  I try to keep my carb number below my protein number.  So if I'm taking in 80g of protein per day, I'm allowed up to 79g carbs.  I eat a salad almost every day and try to have at least 1 serving a fruit per day and 1 serving of milk to make my protein shake each morning.  Here's an example of the carbs I ate the other day: 12oz milk 18g Protein powder 2g Yogurt 4g Cheese 2g Caramal Apple Crumble (eggface recipe) 28g Wendy's small chili 21g Salad 9g Total carbs:  84g Total protein: 92g So maybe my method isn't scientific, but it's working for me.  And I know my body needs carbs so I can't imagine restricting carbs like so many people do (less than 40g/day) because I know that fruit and veggies are essential. And to answer your question .... yes.  I think you need to look for vitamins and supplements with fewer carbs.  14g in your vitamin?!  That seems like a lot to me.  My Chewable Centrum Multi doesn't have any carbs at all.  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mac409
on 4/19/08 5:05 am
Thanks Pam I went to the local healt food store and she suggested this one so I tried it.  I think I will look for another liquid to mix in my shake that is less in carbs for next month.   You are just filled with information....I read a lot but just can't seem to keep up with you.  Bernadette
Pam T.
on 4/19/08 5:11 am - Saginaw, MI
LOL Bernadette --- did you just say I was full of ****  LOL!  kidding of course.  Unfortunately I had to do my 12 month doctor documented diet for insurance twice, so I had a whole extra year to spend getting ready for WLS.  I read and researched during that whole year and I just can't seem to get enough information even now that I've had the surgery.  I'm always hungry for knowledge about making my health better. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mac409
on 4/19/08 6:12 am
Well I am a fan!!!LOL
Most Active