V8 and stage 1 diet

happyinoz
on 4/18/08 10:49 am - Lebanon, MO
Just wanted to know if anyone has a clue whether V8 is allowed on stage 1 diet. I would LOVE to boil some chicken in it and have a kind of chicken vegetable soup without the chicken and veggies. I know I'm allowed sme juices, but, this one is a conundrum.

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge. Ps 18:2 

Dave Chambers
on 4/19/08 2:01 am - Mira Loma, CA
Due to the acid content of V8 (primarily from tomatoes), I'd stay away from it during the first few weeks post op. Your surgery has to heal, and any type of citric acid (oranges, grapefruit, etc.) can cause healing problems. Also, most V8 drinks have a high degree of sodium in them. I was shocked when I read a label some years ago on a can of it. Apple juice, cranberry juice--straight non citrus juices are OK. My doctor said not to get "****tail" or blend juices. Pineapple and grape juice are the highest in sugar content, so you might want to avoid these as a general rule.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Ro Smiley
on 4/23/08 1:08 am - Charlotte, NC
I am not sure what your "stage one diet " rules are, but in  my first few weeks post op, I was only allowed clear liquids, clear broths & protein drinks (including those made with milk).  My surgeon allowed me to splash V-8 into my broth for added flavor.  I had no problems resulting from the acid.  I generally added about 1oz of V8 to about a cup of broth.
Lisa_G
on 4/23/08 11:53 pm - North Falmouth, MA
I am 3 weeks out and have had lots of V-8 juice.
I have had no issues with the acid.. hence I am still on the prilosec. My problem is I love it so much .... my scale doesnt move for 3 days after having a can.... due to the sodium! lol

But concidering sweat out a good amount durring exercise and take in over my 64 oz of fluids thro the day... I'll take my veggies in and not worry about the salt.

But 1 week out? give yourself a couple more weeks, or call your Nutritionist, she'll tell ya.

GL

*Trying to bring sexy back... and think I am suceeding! *   
                           SW-279, PW-160, GW-150

gemelini
on 4/29/08 11:38 pm - apo , Italy
I am only 1week post op and my Dr said Low Sodium V8 is ok. I find it harder to swollow so I mix it with water and like it cold.

preview photo

Most Active