twitching and tingling--calcium?

MyMichelle
on 4/18/08 3:55 am - Fresno, CA
Every day, I am noticing that my arms and hands are tingly off and on.  In addition, the muscles around my mouth have begun twitching mildly.  It is very irritating and concerning.  I did a little research and found that hypocalcemia can be a cause.  Has anyone else had these symptoms and added extra calcium to fix it?  I'm a little worried....

Pam T.
on 4/18/08 5:30 am - Saginaw, MI
How much calcium are you taking?

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

MyMichelle
on 4/18/08 5:34 am - Fresno, CA
1500 a day (UpCalD), but not as consistently as I should be...just working on that....

MyMichelle
on 4/18/08 5:42 am - Fresno, CA
Could I be depleted this soon out?  I mean, it has only been 2-1/2 weeks since my surgery...

Pam T.
on 4/18/08 6:52 am - Saginaw, MI
No, calcium does not get depleted in 2.5 weeks.  If calcium in your blood is low, it will begin to leach calcium from your bones.   If you really, honestly beleive that you have issues with your calcium then call your doctor and ask for tests to be run.  There's no way for us to know that information on the web in this type of setting. Tingling hands and feet can be several different things so don't just assume because hypocalciumia is one possibility. It could be B12 or Iron or any number of other things --- but there's no reason for you to be guess about these things. Stop worrying.  Let the doctor determine if there's a real medical issue at hand. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

MyMichelle
on 4/18/08 7:18 am - Fresno, CA
Yeah---good point.  I think I'll call.

sarard
on 4/18/08 7:20 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It's probably just after effects of anesthesia, but I agree, have your doctor check you out. You should not have depleted any vitamins/minerals at 2 1/2 weeks.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Ruby R.
on 4/19/08 3:42 am
I had your symtoms long before I had wls.  It turn out to be Vit B-12 deficiency.  I have been taking B-12 shots for years.  My husband had same problem and it was Vit B-12 deficency, too.  Shots have helpped us both.  I have finally learned to give them to myself after insuracne changed and it was going to cost me an office visit to get shots.  Labs for B-12 us simple blood work. Patricia    
MyMichelle
on 4/19/08 10:07 am - Fresno, CA
Thanks for the info!  I will talk to my doc about b-12 when I see him on Thursday!

wendy_fou
on 4/19/08 2:46 pm - AR
I had some sparadic tingling in my hands soon post-op.  It stayed long enough for me to become concerned and research all the vitamin deficiencies that can cause that.  But then it just went away on its own and never returned.   No, you can't get depleted in just 2.5 weeks.  I'd call your surgery and see what he says.  I wouldn't worry unless he says you should.   Good luck! 
Most Active