Protein H E L P!!

Holly T.
on 4/16/08 5:21 am - OK
I am 5 days post-op. I just started pureed foods and protein drinks today. The problem is the protein drinks I liked pre-op now make me gag, I can't stand the smell. Any ideas about how to get in protein while Im waiting to be allowed to eat "real foods"??

Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.-Isaiah 40:31

http://holls08.blogspot.com/

lucky_lady76
on 4/16/08 6:46 am, edited 4/16/08 6:47 am - Texarkana, TX
Me personally, I used the Carnation Instant Breakfast NS added, in Non-Fat Milk with the Whey Protein (Chocolate) from Walmart this gives you a total of 37grams of protein however; it has a whoping 380 cals, then if you want you can add in some powered milk to get an extra 6grams.. SInce then I have found a program called "Shake the Weight". I do not do the program but I love the shakes. Each one have like 30g of protein, and you really can't tell they're protein shakes, I like the Chocolate COvered Cherries. I have also recently found the Weigh****chers yogart, just tried the Amaretta Cheesecake, yummy, it has 6 g of protein, but the calaries are up there like 100, but it takes like over an hour to eat the little 6 oz portion. Hopes this helps, good luck on your journey.
GOD BLESS   Cynthia
RIN
on 4/17/08 12:41 am
Hi Holly, The problem with whey isolate protein drinks is that the folks who love them just don't understand that some of us just can't stomach them.  It doesn't matter how you fix them, the taste and smell are terrible. I couldn't tolerate them before surgery and here it is 9 months later and they still make me gag.  I am not normally a gagger, and I love all foods. I just received my first cannister of Vitol egg white protein.  2 tablespoons has 24 grams of protein, 0 carbs, and is fortified with bee pollen and other good things.  It has no artificial sweeteners.  It is a light vanilla flavor and slightly sweet due I guess to the papaya and pineapple enzymes that are in it.  I love it.  I blended it with water, ice and sugar free chai tea mix and it tastes just like the blended iced chai tea I used to buy at Java Hut before my surgery.  It's yummy with fresh banana, but you could blend it with just about anything and add your own sweetener if it isn't sweet enough. The jar says the P.E.R. is 3.9 and is more efficient, greater and higher than any other protein.  I don't really know what all that means, can a nutritionist comment? I've noticed my energy level has increased since I've been able to get more protein in. Lynn
dawnmaher
on 4/17/08 10:48 am - Surprise, AZ
i too could not tolerate any protein drinks.  i have spent so much money and tried so many since my RNY March 28.  by the end of my first week i was eating cottage cheese, refried beans, soft boiled eggs along with my water, sf jello and popsicle.  i was concerned because those proteins were not on my first 3 week diet, but all of them worked for my pouch and at least gave me some protein.  saw my surgeon today and he was fine with it all.  i am now just under 3 weeks post op and he said i could progress to full puree foods for 3 more weeks and not to even worry about the protein drinks anymore.  he wants me to get all my nutrients from real foods now.  yay!  i am so relieved.   good luck to you and your search for protein.  huggs, dawn
avidreader
on 4/18/08 4:24 am - Cary, NC
Try the Whey Protein Bullets - I find them at bariatriceating.com and some GNC stores.  One 3 oz bullet has 42 grams of protein.  At work I mix 1 bullet with water and an individual packet of crystal lite (I get the fruit punch flavord bullets and fruit punch flavored crystal lite), sometimes I add ice, but it is delicious.  At home I keep a pitcher of the crystal lite mixed up so I just pour the crystal lite into a glass, add the bullet and shake up - sometimes I add ice here too.  Just make sure the water is cold.  Some people even slam the 3 oz straight down, but it's a little too sweet for me that way. Good luck in your search!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Diana M.
on 4/18/08 9:44 am - NC
boy-I wish someone would have told me the trick about diluting the bullets, because-I threw away tons of the protein bullets.  If I would have only known to dilute them w/ water and mix w/ crystal light.  To me, it was like drinking syrup.  Oh well!  Where do we get the egg white protein stuff.  That sounds amazing.
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be~ David Viscott
RosieHawk
on 4/18/08 10:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
I've been using the protein bullets (New-Whey 42g) diluted for a bit now but a few days ago some posts surfaced about them being a VERY poor protein source!  Honestly I almost cried when lots of people confirmed that it is a poor choice!  It seems to be the only one I can drink.  I'm totally back on the search now...I'm thinking of giving the Nectars a try and a few others brands some people recommended.

HW 290/ SW 250/ GW 140-145/ LW 120/ CW 168

REACHED GOAL IN 8 MONTHS WITH MY DS!!!
FEB.22/ 08>> DS & JAN.23/ 09>> Breast Lift, Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, hernia repair
NOTE: My weight crept back up over the last 2.5 years, but I'm gonna stop that shit NOW!

Most Active