Question for RD about UPCalD

sarard
on 4/17/08 1:53 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Calcium and Iron are both absorbed in the duodenum. That's why you have to take extra. It is NOT absorbed in the jejunum. If you PM me your personal email, I can send you a diagram of your RNY intestines & where everything is absorbed. I don't know how to attach it here ...
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Jen L
on 4/17/08 10:08 pm - Central, IN
OK, I guess my point is that although these things are best absorbed in the duodenum, that is bypassed in us and that these things ARE absorbed in the jejunum to some extent.  So I don't think it is accurate to say they are NOT absorbed in the jejunum.  (At least that is what I understood from reviewing my old anatomy and phys text books from college.)  The duodenum is the best place for them to be absorbed, and they are not absorbed as well from the jejunum but they are absorbed from there.  If they weren't, this surgery would not work like it does because the side effects of the malabsorption would be too severe.   This is not a situation like B12, which really isn't absorbed in our stomach and intestines anymore and requires sublinguals or shots, YKWIM?? Thanks for all of your input by the way! Jennifer
sarard
on 4/18/08 2:46 am - Costa Mesa, CA
After RNY the jejunum does do some absorbtion, so I shouldn't say it absolutely does NOT. But, either way, putting your vitamin on your tongue for quicker absorption (as the initial question was posed) will not increase absorption. Either way, this mineral needs to get to your intestines for absorption. Unless, of course, the mineral is designed to be absorbed sublingually. B12 is a completely different story as it needs intrinstic factor (only found in stomach) for absorption in the ileum. It requires sublingual or shots as this is the only way it can be absorbed without intrinsic factor.
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 4/17/08 1:59 am - Costa Mesa, CA
And, yes, a lot of RNY people have real trouble with Iron & Calcium because of this .....
Registered Dietitian
corrineinwa
on 4/16/08 11:08 am
I know of some people who just tip the powder on their tongue and swallow it down with a mouthful of liquid. I only use the UpcalD and either just add it to my water/protein drink or add it to my yogurt.  I do 4 doses a day.

24 September 2007
Dr. Sebesta - Madigan Medical Army Center (MAMC).
259.5/224.7/111
highest/day of surgery/current
 BMI 18.5 (5'5")

Pam T.
on 4/17/08 12:03 pm - Saginaw, MI
I also use UpCalD.  I either mix it into whatever I'm eating or dump it on my tongue and swallow it with some water.  Easy. As for where the calcium is absorbed.  YES - the duodenum is completely bypassed and food or vitamins DO NOT pass by this section of the intestines any longer.  We do not absorb anything at all in our duodenum any longer.  However -- calcium is also absorbed in the jejunum, which is the next section below the duodenum and only about half of the jejunum is bypassed (based on 150cm bypass).  For a diagram of the digestive tract and where everything is absorbed, I have a photo posted on my profile.  Here's the link:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/uzone,blog/action,comments/blog_id,61570/blog_post_id,119051/ Studies have shown that after RNY patients still absorb calcium -- as long as it's CALCIUM CITRATE.  About 45% of the calcium citrate is absorbed.  (however, calcium carbonate is only absorbed at a rate of 4%.)  I've got more information about this study on my profile as well.  Here's the link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/uzone,blog/action, comments/blog_id,61570/blog_post_id,142721/ Hope this helps. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/08 12:40 am
I also use UpCal-D, four doses a day.  Question:  How far apart should I spread the doses to get maximum absorption?
Most Active