Question for RD about UPCalD

Plum1967
on 4/16/08 6:44 am
Hi.  I have recently purchased some of the UPCalD powdered calcium + d, and I am just curious.... We can put this right on the tounge and have it dissolve right away, rather than having to swallow a pill.  Does this then absorb into our systems faster, as a sublingual pill would?  Thanks in advance. Wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

Ruby R.
on 4/16/08 9:38 am
I don't know the answer to your question.  I put my UPCal D in my protein drinks.  I put it in Adkins Advantage RTD and in my other protein drink that is powdered and I heat the water a little.  It is not real hot just a bit warm.  I have wondered if putting in the heated water might change the effect of the UPCal D.  I have heard not to ge****er real hot because it changes the effect of the protein. Hope someone in the know will tell us about this.   Patricia 3/11/05  RNY 262/125/138 hi/lo/today  5'1"
sarard
on 4/16/08 11:05 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Warm water won't change the affect of the protein or the vitamin.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Pam T.
on 4/17/08 12:08 pm - Saginaw, MI
The rumor that you can't heat up protein powder is a myth.  Yes, the protein will "denaturalize" -- which basically just means that the protein chains will change its structure, but just because it's changed, doesn't mean its no longer any good.  A raw egg is protein.  A cooked egg is protein.  It's just that the cooked egg has been denaturalized -- but it doesn't make it any less protein.  I use boiling water to mix my protein hot cocoa in the mornings (212-degrees).  I also bake with protein when I make bars or cookies (350-degrees).  It's all perfectly safe and doesn't change the effect of protein at all. NOW.... adding ho****er to protein powder might cause a "lumpiness" problem though.  So mix the powder with cold water first to form a smooth paste, then add the ho****er slowly while stirring to make sure you don't get any lumps.  Or, do what I do... just throw it all in the blender and whiz until it's smooth. Hope that helps Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Ruby R.
on 4/17/08 12:36 pm
Thanks for the information.  One more question about protein.  Is it true that you you should drink the protein drinks soon after they are mixed?  I read somewhere that they lose their effect after a half an hour or so.   Patricia
Pam T.
on 4/17/08 12:42 pm - Saginaw, MI
No, another myth. It will not lose its effectiveness after 30 minutes.  However, if you let it sit out, just like any other food, after about 30 to 45 minutes the food will begin to grow bacteria.  Also, after a certain amount of time the powder will begin to separate from the liquid and start to get "yucky" tasting and not very palletable.  Again, just like an egg.  If you leave a raw egg out on the counter for an hour, you probably won't want to eat it... but that doesn't mean its not still protein.  It's just yucky protein.  :-) Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

sarard
on 4/16/08 11:04 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It won't absorb faster or better. These vitamins are absorbed in your duodenum, so it has to get to your duodendum to be absorbed. Sublingual vitamins are designed to be absorbed through your membranes. Unless this is designed for mouth absorption, it won't help to let it dissolve on your tongue.
Registered Dietitian
Plum1967
on 4/16/08 11:06 am
Thank you. One more question, then.... will the powdered form be more absorbable in the duodenum because it's already dissolved?  In other words, is there anything to indicate that we would more easily absorb this form than a pill that may or may not fully dissolve before it hits the duodenum? Wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

sarard
on 4/16/08 11:14 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Any medication, or food for that matter, has to go through your pouch - it should be broken up a bit before it gets there. However, some pills don't dissolve that well & may still be whole when in the duodenum, therefore, making them difficult to absorb. So, yes, I would say that especially if you are within 1 year of your surgery, you should use a powdered form, or crush your vitamin (if in a pill form). If you are more than 1 year post op, you may be able to get away with taking pills. But, if powdered doesn't bother you, I think this is a better way to go .... :)
Registered Dietitian
Jen L
on 4/16/08 12:34 pm - Central, IN
OK, this doesn't make total sense to me because in the RNY, the duodenum has been bypassed.  These vitamins must be absorbed also in the jejunum or we are in real trouble because I don't have a duodenum to absorb them in!  Can you clarify this please?? Thanks, Jennifer
Most Active